Minor problem with desktop icons

NickyK 20:39 17 Feb 2005

Last night, my computer decided to eat half my desktop icons. Every time I try to restore them, it says "Windows could not create shortcut - check to see if disc is full".

I'm afraid I haven't a clue what this message wants me to do. I have tried all the other, usual methods of editing the desktop.

I'm sorry this is such a minor problem, but I don't know where else to go for help, and I rely on my icons.

Technotiger 19:21 18 Feb 2005

Hi again - have a look here (if this works) scroll down to Troubleshooting.

click here

NickyK 19:22 18 Feb 2005

Great to hear from you. DOn't concern yourself overly. I can still get my programs through programs. I am pissed about the vanished icons, but ce la vie. I am now much more concerned about the fact that I can't seem to be able to do a system restore. According to my system, (Dell/WindowsXPSP2) there are loads of restoration points. But when I have tried to do this, it says it can't. As I said, maybe I should post this as a separate subject.

Your help and advice is as welcome as always. Thanks for caring. N

NickyK 19:27 18 Feb 2005

Yes, Technotiger, the link worked great. I've bookmarked it and will read it carefully. I assume you don't think I should post my restore problems separately? And do you think I should close this strand? I don't want to waste peoples' time when there are so many other, far more serious, problems to be dealt with.

Nicky

Technotiger 19:29 18 Feb 2005

Me again - yes, close this one now, you can always post again if needed.

Good luck with my last offer.

Cheers.

MIke 19:34 18 Feb 2005

Have you tried Microsofts Tweak UI?

click here

There's an option to repair icons

Might work

NickyK 20:30 18 Feb 2005

MIke, your click here isn't there. But thanks anyway. Technotiger, I am resolving now. Cooking supper got in the way.

MIke 10:32 19 Feb 2005

I'll try again!

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

See iconic duo Smith and Foulkes' epic animation for the BBC's Winter Olympics coverage

iMac Pro review

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts