Minor problem with desktop icons

NickyK 20:39 17 Feb 2005

Last night, my computer decided to eat half my desktop icons. Every time I try to restore them, it says "Windows could not create shortcut - check to see if disc is full".

I'm afraid I haven't a clue what this message wants me to do. I have tried all the other, usual methods of editing the desktop.

I'm sorry this is such a minor problem, but I don't know where else to go for help, and I rely on my icons.

Technotiger 20:44 17 Feb 2005

Hi, right-click on desktop, go to Arrange Icons By, then go to Run Desktop Cleanup wizard ........

might solve your little problem.

Cheers.

Jackcoms 20:46 17 Feb 2005

How much free space is available on your HDD?

Go to my Computer; right click on the icon for your main C drive. Left click on Properties.

How much used space? How much free space?

Technotiger 20:47 17 Feb 2005

ps - in case that does not work - if you have WinXP you could do a system restore to a few days ago perhaps.

NickyK 20:50 17 Feb 2005

Hi Jackcoms and Technotiger. Have tried clean-up wizard, which did help somewhat. Loads of space on HDD (checked earlier in complete panic).

Jackcoms 20:52 17 Feb 2005

Suggest you go with Technotiger and do a System Restore if problem persists

Technotiger 20:52 17 Feb 2005

Are you using XP?

NickyK 20:56 17 Feb 2005

Yes, I am - sorry, I should have said. As I said, it's not a major problem because I can still access what I want via programs, but it is annoying and inconvenient.

I've tried System Restore - but whatever point I pick, I am told (after the whole process) that it can't be restored to that point even though it said it could at the start (I've tried 10 different restore points).

Technotiger 21:00 17 Feb 2005

Don't want to insult your intelligence, but I suppose you are trying to restore using Bold Print dates in the calender?

NickyK 19:06 18 Feb 2005

Thanks, Technotiger. I am not proud, so anyone can feel free to insult my intelligence as much as they like if it helps me (I am learning all the time). Sadly, yes I did try using the bold print dates. It still refused to restore and, also, it refuses to allow me to set up a system-restore point of my own. This sounds like it should be a post of its own.

I posted this yesterday, so I'll leave it open for one more hour, then I will resolve and post anew (people don't read old stuff).

Ta,

N

Technotiger 19:17 18 Feb 2005

Hi again - by doing this now, your problem goes to the top of the queue again, so people will read it .
I will see if I can find anything else for you.

Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?