Mini survey - credit card fraud

Forum Editor 07:06 03 Oct 2003

I'm interested to know if anyone has had their credit card details used fraudulently as a result of Internet use.
As you may have heard, the new (to the UK) system of using a PIN for card transactions will start to enter the market shortly, following a successful trial period in selected locations. This will only apply to 'Cardholder present' transactions however. Online (cardholder not present) transactions will continue to be based on the presentation of the cardholder's address, card number, and in some cases the securtiy number from the back of the card.

Many Credit card experts think that the PIN system will have a dramatic effect on fraud figures, and that this will lead fraudsters to concentrate more on online card use. Time will tell if they're right, but in the meantime please let us know if your card has ever been used fraudulently as a result of online use. I'm only interested in actual fraud - not the disclosure of card details in error, or other data protection slip-ups.

Border View 11:40 03 Oct 2003

I have used my credit card shopping on the internet quite a few times over the last three years with no problems whatsoever.

The only unauthorised withdrawl was by Nauton and Barclaycard sorted it out and refunded me.

Hope this helps your survey FE.

Pidder 18:25 03 Oct 2003

Something to be said for checking one's credit card balance regularly by internet banking!

S5W 19:27 03 Oct 2003

I have used credit cards online once or twice a week for about two years. No problems so far but like 3tg I keep a daily check on the balances. From anecdotal tales I would think that credit card fraud was most likely to occur through careless discarding of receipts and transaction slips. I just hope FE is wrong about online fraud in the future. I suppose we could regress to using beads.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Mi Mix 3 UK Review: Xiaomi's Flagship Slides Into The UK

Freelance Wars' has given us a year of hilarious, oh-too-true GIFs about nightmare clients and…

Apple Maps vs Google Maps

Amazon Prime : Prix et avantages