Migrate ITunes

collinsc 12:13 15 Jan 2012

Hi

I have a previous post asking in general about transferring files from old to new laptop - in the post i had mentioned i wanted to migrate my i tunes. Someone had kindly posted this link: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4527

The theory is very simple, however, when i paste my itunes folder on to my new laptop itunes is insisting i convert the tunes - this is confusing as they are fine on my old laptop- why would they need converting on the new one!?

So, OK... if thats what it takes the i'll just let it happen. However, the conversion is taking 6hours+ (i stopped it and deleted all music at this point) - and there are 3+ versions of each song appearing in the itunes list - i just dont get it!

Advice greatly appreciate.

Thanks

KRONOS the First 12:58 15 Jan 2012

I back up the whole of My Music folder which also contains the itunes folder. When I reinstall Windows,which is fairly often in my case as I always seem to be upgrading one component or another, this week its the motherboard. After reinstalling Windows and then reinstalling itunes I then copy the complete contents over from the old itunes to the new itunes folder. I have never been ask to convert.

So I am thinking that some setting needs changing or has been changed in your case,though I cannot think what.

collinsc 13:54 15 Jan 2012

hmmm ok thanks, no i can't think what settings either.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

25 book design and illustration tips

iMac Pro review

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts