MIGHTY MAX HAS STOLEN MY REGISTERS .SHALL I PAY UP

Linda Weir 09:30 05 Oct 2005

I WAS LOOKING FOR ACTIVE X SO I COULD IMPROVE MY OUTLOOK EXPRESS AND MIGHTY MAX JUMPED IN TO MY LIFE INSTALLED ITSELF ON MY COMPUTER BY OFFERING TO SCAN MISSING REGISTERS FOR (ACTIVE X? OR SOMETHING)

ITS COMPLETELY FROZEN MY PROGRAMMES , I CANT SAVE STUFF FOR BACKUP, CANT EMAIL,OR OPEN WORD ETC. CANT PRINT OFF.

IT IS OFFERING TO PUT THEM ALL BACK FOR SOMETHING LIKE 29 DOLLARS SHOULD I PAY UP? URGENT MY ART RECORDS AND MY SONS ACADEMIC WORK IS THREATENED
SINCERELY LINDA WEIR IT HAS JUST POPPED UP WITH @980 PROBLEMS FOUND) THESE ARE TIME SENSITIVE PROBLEMS AND PC MIGHTY MAX CAN FIX THEM

Graham ® 09:38 05 Oct 2005

Please turn off caps lock!

It should be in Add and Remove programs, but you have to advance through several screens to get to it.

click here

De Marcus™ 09:41 05 Oct 2005

The first thing to do is not panic, your work should be fine as well as your sons academic stuff. If you follow Grahams advice and click on the link it will take you to a webpage which describes how to remove mighty max leaving your pc intact.

mgmcc 09:42 05 Oct 2005

Can you uninstall Mighty Max from "Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs"? If so, uninstall it and then (assuming you are using Windows XP), run System Restore back to before you installed it.

If you can't uninstall it, still try running System Restore. If System Restore won't run, boot into Safe Mode and run it from there - immediately after powering on, tap the "F8" key until the Boot Menu appears. Select the option to boot into Safe Mode. Log on with either your Account or Windows' default Administrator Account and run System Restore.

Finally, if that still doesn't work, from the same Boot Menu, boot to "Safe Mode with Command Prompt" and, at the prompt, type:

c:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

and press Enter. This should run System Restore.

Linda Weir 08:55 19 Oct 2005

dear mgmcc

thanks for your advice i tried everything and my computer has lost somany registries a lot is impossible. I have had an it professional in to try to run sytem restore.But i will try the safe mode sytem restore with command again, i never succeeded in getting that far.

my professional has suggested i should have the hard drive coppied so i don't lose mine and my sons material but this involves taking the pc away. I have a 2 year warranty with Watford which carreras offered me when their company went bust invalidating my 5 year warranty. i am wondering if they would be helpful. I can't seem to get them on the phone without dialing a 1471 no. 40p a minute i think. My IT professional is designing me a new system so ican run my external hard drive and hopefully retrieve a lot of pictures and my sons homework.

I think my stars are in a Mars retrograde state with it. I had to leave everything last week because my father died. I m not sure what to do first. Also if I buy a backup computer what would you or anyone recommend. For pictures for my work and music.

I am knocked out at the help and kindness of your brains. thankyou so much linda

PaulB2005 09:02 19 Oct 2005

Start Menu, Run, type msconfig and hit enter, startup tab and untick anything that looks like it has to do with Mighty Max. Click ok and reboot.

Hopefully MMax will not be running anymore and you can then try Graham ® suggestion.

SANTOS7 09:06 19 Oct 2005

Mighty Max has its own uninstaller if you have the exe file still on your PC start the install process follow instructions untill you come to the option to
uninstall..

Linda Weir 09:07 19 Oct 2005

thankyou for your reply, i am still struggling with system restore.its not working at all. i havent managed to effect the safe mode system restore with an address line. A lot of stuff on my system is completely frozen . i think mad mad has gobbled quite a bit. I am thinking of havingmy hard drive copied and buying a new computer in the meantime. i have an external hard drive with quite a bit on. if i bought anew pc in the meantime have you any advice?also Watford electronics sold me a warranty . do you think they could be useful?Its hard to know what step to take first.watford might come through and reboot my system but i would lose some prescious records of paintings and some of my sons gcse work. I did appreciate your helpful response at a very difficult time.sincerely, linda

Linda Weir 09:12 19 Oct 2005

Caps lock off and thanks for the advice. unfortunately my registries are lost and i cannot remove mad max so far after following advice and haveing an it Professional in. I'm considering having my hard drive copied and buying a new computer from him to see me over the system restore crisis.but this is going to cost around £1000.I cant tell which thing to do first. I also have a warranty with Watford Electronics but they don't seem to want to be that accessible.

sincerely Linda

g0slp 09:24 19 Oct 2005

I wish you well with Watford, but I fear that they will say that as it's a software problem then it's nothing to do with them.

Would it be possible to get your hard drive put into another PC as a slave & recover your data from there? Your IT man should offer that before selling you a complete new machine, if you can't do that yourself. Only problem there is that it might invalidate your warranty anyway... (Rocks & hard places).

I know that it's a case of "bolting the stable door..." , but here's an interesting link

click here

Unfortunately there are several examples of 'scamware' about, although this is one of the worst that I've come across recently.

I hope that you can get your work back, and your son's, of course.

Best regards,

Mark

Linda Weir 10:56 19 Oct 2005

well im on thejob mark and thank you so much for your presence on line. linda

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?