Microsoft Word paper colour display is wrong

wiganken2 21:10 15 Jul 2018

I use Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2016 on my Windows 8.1 64-bit OS. Because I find stark white too bright to stare at when composing Office Documents and Spreadsheets I changed the Registry “Window” colour to RGB value 140 160 140 (a pale green). When I launch Excel the spreadsheet is displayed in the pale green colour I selected but if I launch Word the ‘paper’ colour displayed is stark-white, not the expected pale green as in Excel. The interesting bit though is that if I right-click in a folder or on the desktop and select “New/Microsoft Word Document” and give it a name this creates the new document ready for opening. If I then double click on the new document to open it for editing the ‘paper’ colour displayed is the pale green colour I want. I have tried several times to save the Word template normal.dotm with the pale green ‘paper’ colour but launching Word still shows a white page unless I open a new document created as described above. Has anyone any ideas how to get Word to display the “Window” colour defined in the registry? Maybe there is some other setting I need to change? If TA allowed me to insert pictures I could show you the two 'paper' colours but I can't so I hope the description is clear enough.

wiganken2 08:47 16 Jul 2018

More information: - If I use the “New/Microsoft Word Document” method to create a document, test.docx, it shows 'green' paper. As long as the file extension remains as docx the page stays 'green'. If I change the file extension to that of a Word template, test.dotm and open it the paper changes to white. If I change it back to test.docx the paper is 'green' again. Obviously something to do with the Word Template format but what and how to fix it?

wiganken2 10:43 20 Jul 2018

Due to no replies on this thread I am closing it and have simplified it in another simplyfied thread. See click here .

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

See concept art from groundbreaking video games including The Last of Us, Journey and No Man's Sky

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

Les meilleurs VPN pour Kodi (2018)