Microsoft word (GRAPH PAPER)

  hooligan 16:18 16 May 2005

I want to do a bit of text and add some shapes, I want it to a scale, can I incet a background grid, or some type of thing like it, if so how

New to word


  sinbad1 16:31 16 May 2005
  huzzar 16:48 16 May 2005
  pj123 16:53 16 May 2005

Added to My Postings

Word has a built-in Grid facility.

Access it through the Drawing toolbar - Select Draw>Grid and then choose to Display Grid on screen

You can then change page setup to set all margins to 0 which will then give you a fullpage of graphpaper.
None of the grid lines are printed.


  Taff36 23:38 16 May 2005

Bookmarked - Excellent Resource - Thanks

  Peter 09:58 17 May 2005


You learn something new everyday. Even Word 97 has the built-in grid facility you mentioned. I've been using Tables to draw boxes and rectangular shapes for room (kitchen etc.) design. I will try the grid feature and see if this is a bit easier.

Nice on Whisperer.


  hooligan 14:31 17 May 2005


I dont understand the grid facility, I'm trying to do a garden design, to show someone were to place a deck, a bit like pete i suppose, but in the garden

any advice, how the grid should work, I have the 97 version

Difficult but here goes-think of the grid as a piece of pegboard, the hardboard that is full of holes.

At the top of the dialogue box that controls the displaying of the grid there are 2 options, the first switches on/off the 'snap objects to grid' and the second controls the 'snap objects to other objects'. An object is anything placed on the paper, a line, square, circle or indeed any shape.

If you enable the first option then anything that you 'draw' onto the 'paper' will snap to the nearest peg position, if it is not enabled then the object will be floating and can be moved anywhere on the sheet. The choice of whether to activate the snap facilities must be governed by what you are trying to achieve.

To place Text onto the paper there are 2 options, the first being to place the text inside a textbox or any other predefined autoshape, but to place text on the grid without using a shape then double-click where you wish the text to start, it will be limited to a single line of text without another double-click. It is recommended that you use a shape of some sort, because by selecting the ‘shape’, you can change its appearance so that it is invisible when printed.

If you have a square garden then you could activate the first option. If it is not square then you would not want it to be active; but in this case you might want the objects snapping to each other to allow lines to join at the corners. Once an object has been drawn, the snap options can be changed.

When using Word to plan anything then extensive use is made of the Drawing toolbar, where everything placed on the sheet can be made to scale by adjusting the properties of the object – right-click on the object and choose format control.

If you wish for more detail then feel free to use the envelope to contact me direct.


I should have stated that the double-click for text positioning just places a tab marker at the point of the double-click and if you press Enter at the end of the text insertion, the next line will contain the same tab position so that you can insert more text below the original - long time no do.

  GroupFC 15:48 17 May 2005

Very useful - I am going to study this later when I have more time!

I had a look at this when I first spotted the post but didn't get very far, mind you it does look complicated!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator of witty, relatable Instagram comics Julia Bernhard touches on our humble moments

iMac Pro review

Quelle est la meilleure application de podcast pour Android (2018) ?