Microsoft Win 98 License

Professor Plum 10:02 24 Oct 2003

I have a Win 98 License, but my disk is broken (in pieces) am I allowed to make/use a copy of a friends Win 98 disk? or is that piracy?

Thanks for any advice.

Gongoozler 10:27 24 Oct 2003

Professor Plum, I'm not sure what strict letter of the law is, but I think you can use the copied disk with a clear conscience. You at least have a license, which is more than a lot of people have.

leo49 10:34 24 Oct 2003

Presumably according to the letter of the law it would be illegal. But in the real world,you no longer have the use of software to which you're entitled by your license. You wouldn't be increasing the number of 98 discs, merely restoring the status quo. I'd run off a copy without a second thought.

Djohn 10:38 24 Oct 2003

If you hold a legitimate product key for 98se, then give Microsoft customer services a phone call, they will send you a new CD through the post. Most likely F.O.C. They did for me. j.

Professor Plum 11:00 24 Oct 2003

I just spoke to microsoft on the phone.

Can I make/use a copy of a friends Win 98 disk?No I can not.

Can I get a replacement disk? No we dont do them anymore.

What can you suggest?
1. Go and buy a new Windows 98.

2. Dont tell us that you are going to use a friends disk.

Djohn 11:10 24 Oct 2003

They still had some earlier this year, but may well have run out of stock by now.

They told me to make a copy of the new CD they were sending through and put the original away for safe keeping.

Read leo49's post again. Regards. j.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?