Microsoft updates remove my internet connection

curly 17:09 10 Jul 2008

I am running windows XP. The latest batch of 5 Microsoft updates has resulted in my losing internet connection. I only seem able to restore the connection by using the MS Restore operation. I am on AOL broadband. I would be gratful for any advice on how to adjust my setytings so that I do not continually have to use the Restore programme.

On another issue, how can I delete the automatic microsoft upgrades?

alB 17:16 10 Jul 2008

Just have a quick look down the first page of helproom, there are a few threads, and fixes for this problem that has arisen over the last 48 hours ...alB

alB 17:18 10 Jul 2008

click here ...alB

dnjl 17:18 10 Jul 2008

We have 4 PCs (2 are laptops) and this happened to them all.

I went into add/remove programs and removed KB951748 but it still did not cure it until I removed KB890830. I tried varying combinations and ended up with all of them taken off.
Have also put my settings to "ask me first" so I don't get automatic downloads again.

I think an apology from MS to all is needed here.

Although I wonder why it has worked on some & not others. My brother-in-law has same XP system and uses AVG and ZA. but he had no trouble.

steve0 18:43 10 Jul 2008

New version of Zone Alarm released this morning fixes things. Install over top of old version.

MuDelta 19:23 10 Jul 2008

Yes, but now MS keeps telling me that ZA is off while ZA says it is not!

What now?

curly 10:49 11 Jul 2008

Thanks very much indeed for your help. I will first install the new Zone Alarm programme and see if that is sufficient. If not, I will delete the files mentioned, AND I HAVE DISABLED AUTOMATIC UPDATES!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

Artist Helen Friel on designing paper models for everyone to make

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts