Microsoft Technician Support Scam - Help me

Boneman123 06:07 09 Jan 2017

I tried watching an episode online. I clicked on the link and it said that I need to call Windows immediately. It said that my email and credit card numbers have been stolen. I called the number and an Indian guy picked it up. He asked me my name. I gave him a false one. He gave me a set of instructions to go to a website through a different route. I went there and it was a download. I clicked on it and opened it. My computer then asked, "Do you want this software to make changes on your computer?" After getting suspicious I clicked NO and closed the phone? Is my personal information at risk of getting stolen?

Forum Editor 08:32 09 Jan 2017

"Is my personal information at risk of getting stolen?"

The short answer to that question is yes. The longer answer is that it depends on what was in the download, and what kind of information you store on your computer.

If you store any credit card information (and you should not do that) there is a possibility that it could have been captured. The same applies to any online banking information. Hopefully, you haven't saved any of that - or any passwords - on the machine, but as an immediate precaution you should change your email password and any online banking passwords.

Make sure your browser is set not to remember passwords, and not to auto-complete online forms.

The fact that you didn't give the software permission to make changes on your machine is good. Go into your downloads folder and delete the downloaded file. Then run a complete anti-virus and malware scan, and that should be an end to it.

Needless to say, you will never respond to any more pop-up messages on a web-site telling you that your computer's security is at risk.

Secret-Squirrel 08:49 09 Jan 2017

My computer then asked, "Do you want this software to make changes on your computer?" After getting suspicious I clicked NO and closed the phone?

It sounds like you got out just in time.

The download that was asking for permission to run was almost certainly the remote-control software that the scammer would have used to access your computer. By answering "No" you blocked it from running so the scammer couldn't get in and no changes were made to your computer.

I deal with these scams all the time and I'm not worried from what you've told me, but if you want extra peace of mind, let me know the name of the website you were asked to visit

Boneman123 10:13 09 Jan 2017

Dear Forum Editor,

I thank you and Secret Squirrel for your responses. I do not have any banking information online; I strictly do all my banking physically. I mostly have photos on my computer. I did not let that software make any changes to my computer.

I contacted the Indian guy again to see if he could have any access to my computer if I clicked 'NO' on the window that asked me if I wanted this software to make any changes to my computer. I kept him talking for fifteen minutes and he said that he does not have any access to my computer unless I click 'YES". I then hung up on him.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:30 09 Jan 2017

Of course he's going to say he has no access.

I would still run a scan with antimalware

Windows 10 Home editions do not have remote desktop.

to turn off remote assistance - type remote assistance in the search box (cortana) click ok and make sure the allow remote assistance box is unticked

Secret-Squirrel 11:44 09 Jan 2017

Fruit Bat, those scammers don't (and can't) use Remote Assistance/Desktop to connect to victims' computers so fiddling with those Windows settings will not make any difference.

Forum Editor 11:53 09 Jan 2017

As a couple of us have said, the fact that you didn't run the download is all to the good.

The message you saw on your screen is commonplace. People are fooled by it on a regular basis, and I've lost count of the number of times I have responded to threads like yours over the years. You had the commonsense to stop the process before it could do you any harm, but not everyone is so lucky.

Please don't post any links to the site in question, or name it. That would be inviting trouble.

Boneman123 16:26 09 Jan 2017

I am not going to post any links. However, I did call that man by myself; he did not call me. I called him again to make sure he does not have remote access to my computer. I deleted the file which I downloaded. Will he be able to track me down? He has my name and a code he gave me but he has absolutely no other information about me such as address, surname, email address or credit details. Will he track me down? Should I report the number to the police?

Boneman123 16:28 09 Jan 2017

The first time around I called the number on the pop up. Just an update to the previous reply that I sent.

lotvic 17:35 09 Jan 2017

However, I did call that man by myself; he did not call me

He enticed you to call him by falsely making you think your email and credit card numbers had been stolen. He is a thief, a scammer, scum.

These popups on websites are very common especially on download/streaming sites. When encountering any just close the tab or close browser down. Sometimes you have to do this via Task manager if the page won't close by clicking on the X at top right. Don't click on anything on the page or any additional popups that appear saying stuff like 'this page is asking if you really want to exit' .

If you have any worries about your credit cards, contact your bank for advice.

Will he track me down?

No, but if they have your phone number, it's possible you may get Scam nuisance calls from them pretending they are #Windows/Microsoft tech support and they've detected problems with your pc. If so then blow a raspberry and hang up. Don't let them panic you into talking to them.

To put your mind at rest, do a web search for Popup scam tech support

rickf 18:18 09 Jan 2017

Why on earth did you think he was going to give you an honest answer when he was the scammer in the first place. Calling him back was just asking for trouble. Do as FE and others have said and be done with it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Officially Launches In The UK

12 great UX design talks you can watch online

MacBook Air 2018 review

Les meilleurs bracelets connect├ęs (2018)