Microsoft Office Outlook, old .pst file?

wee eddie 19:27 07 Aug 2018

I am now running Office 2010 and, of course, Outlook.

I think that I have found an old .pst file from the late 90's and, in my search for PPI evidence I would like to access the Woolwich Building Society Contacts page.

However, I don't wish to risk overwriting my present data.

Anyone got hints about how I might go about it? I reckon that it would have been created in Office '95.

compumac 20:25 07 Aug 2018

I would suggest in the first instance that you copy your current.pst file elsewhere (just in case) and then open the old.pst file as it would I believe save it back to its original source.

I had this problem some years ago with an old version of Outlook

lotvic 00:15 08 Aug 2018

Further to above: I would also re-name suffix on the copy of your current .pst file by adding .copy (.pst.copy) so there is no way it can be overwritten.

compumac 08:45 08 Aug 2018

Of course you would have a backup copy of your current.pst data elsewhere any way??

Taff™ 09:03 08 Aug 2018

Why don't you open it on a spare computer running the orignal program?

I don't think there is a backward compatibility from Office 2010 back to last century!

wee eddie 09:46 08 Aug 2018

Taff, that's along the lines that I was beginning to think. I now remember that I have a Laptop, that I was using around then, in the loft. I might try firing it up. Obviously the battery will be shot.

Taff™ 10:07 08 Aug 2018

I have same! Even got copies of Win98 Installation Disks and Office 2000 Pro if it's any use to you! Outlook Included I believe!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e Release Date, Price & Spec

Robert Hunter talks animating his magical storybook style for a spaced out music video

Best iPhone & iPad games 2019

Samsung Galaxy X : date de sortie, prix et fiche technique