Microsoft Net Framework

prince midas 09:59 18 Jul 2006

I downloaded the latest versions today of microsoft updates.

Everyone installed okat apart from the update to Microsoft Net Framework 2 version update KB917283
which refused to install.

On checking in control panel I found I had a copy of Microsoft Net Framework 1 & 2 copies of Microsoft Net Framework 2.

I finally uninstalled both copies of Microft Net Framework 2 leaving Microsoft Net Framework 1.

On rechechecking the Microsoft Updates said I was up to date.

My question is do I need Microsoft Net Framework 2 as everything appears to be working Fine.

Jackcoms 10:04 18 Jul 2006

Yes, it's the latest version click here for a fix to this well-documented problem

Diversion 10:09 18 Jul 2006

You have to install "dotnetfx" (Netframework 2) from Microsoft before you can install the updates. But there are a few "dotnetfx" files make sure you choose the Netframework 2 packege.

prince midas 10:25 18 Jul 2006

Thanks guys but just 2 questions.

What does Network 2 do that Network 1 cannot do.

When I update with only Network 1 installed it does not offer me the option to download Network 2 which I uninstalled & because I have not got a copy of Network 2 I cannot reinstall it.

I am told that my updates are up to date. Comments please.

Diversion 10:39 18 Jul 2006

Certain programs require network 2 to run, and usually these programs direct you straight to the installation site at Microsoft.

Stuartli 10:45 18 Jul 2006

.NET Framework 2.0 installs over 1.1 (plus the 1.1 Hotfix) and you then install the current security update for version 2.0.

prince midas 17:42 25 Jul 2006

I installed DotnetFx & it reinstalled NetFramework 2.

I then updated using Microsoft & everything seemed okay.

When I now run Norton Diskdoctor it says I have 10 errors all related to netframework.

For example it says it cannot access 10 files because it cannot find file MSVCR80.DLL

When I ask Norton to repair the errors it says it cannot find a solution because the files are either on a Network, on an NTFS disk which it actually is on or an invisible drive.

I even copied the file to the NetFramework folder but Norton still cannot access this file.

Is this important or not as everything seems to be working.

thms 17:50 25 Jul 2006

This is a known problem with Norton and network 2.
It does it on mine as well. I have set norton to ignore these files.

thms 17:55 25 Jul 2006
  prince midas 17:57 25 Jul 2006

Thanks THMS but how do I set DiskDoctor to ignore these files bearing in mind I have no other Norton products installed.

prince midas 18:00 25 Jul 2006

Just got your 2nd reply. Thanks again Midas.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?