Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0

nettap 22:04 28 Jul 2008

I have been trying to install this all day. I can download it and it appears to install completely then a message saying installation failed. Why? Win xp with sp2

Taff™ 08:00 29 Jul 2008

Uninstalling all.net Frameworks and re-installing has worked for me in the past. See Microsoft`s knowledge base click here.

nettap 12:17 29 Jul 2008

Many thanks Taff, it worked for me as well

Condom 16:01 10 Aug 2008

I've just had a clean XP re -install but this time I left off Microsoft. Net Framework 1 and 2 as I really don't know what they do. I am a home user only and when I saw this I thought I would ask the question to try and learn something new.

Condom 16:03 10 Aug 2008

I've just had a clean XP re -install but this time I left off Microsoft. Net Framework 1 and 2 as I really don't know what they do. I am a home user only and when I saw this I thought I would ask the question to try and learn something new.

Kemistri 22:43 10 Aug 2008

You should have started your own thread, but since this may benefit the OP and others, I'll answer your question here.

In very outline-ish terms, the .NET Framework is a coding engine that developers can use to produce and run applications in a Windows environment. In Windows, the service packs provide that software with what is known as a runtime environment (click here). Certain applications therefore need .NET Framework version 1, 2, or 3 in order to function. You will usually know when you encounter such software because it will install (or prompt you to install) one of the .NET Frameworks if they are not present. If I remember correctly, version 1 is not needed as long as you have version 2, but version 3 may also be required. All of my PCs have both 2 and 3 as I have software that requires them. If you don't have such software, then you don't need to install any of these services.

john bunyan 23:27 10 Aug 2008

nettap. I know that Media Centre Edition needs .Net framework as after a clean reinstall, this function would not work until the .Net framework files were installed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?