Microsoft consider Ebay to be unsafe content

xania 14:45 01 Oct 2016

As of this morning all Ebay items are being red flagged by Microsoft as having unsafe content. I have reported this to Ebay who have confirmed that there is nothing unsafe about their pages and they will be taking the matter further. In the meantime, I understand and believe that this false positive report can be safely ignored. If you want to, you can left click the red cross and the report to authorise your PC to download the unsafe content.

lotvic 17:03 01 Oct 2016

being red flagged by Microsoft as having unsafe content

Where is this showing up? I don't seem to have any problem looking at ebay.co.uk items

Forum Editor 17:38 01 Oct 2016

I was using Ebay this morning, and I saw no red flags.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say Microsoft was doing this - do you mean Internet Explorer? I can find no other reports of this from other internet users.

Secret-Squirrel 17:40 01 Oct 2016

........Ebay items are being red flagged by Microsoft as having unsafe content. ......... I understand and believe that this false positive report can be safely ignored.

I'm not so sure Xania.

Last year a client got in touch to say that on the Ebay UK site he kept getting "Message from webpage" alerts telling him that his Flash Player was out of date. On clicking the recommended link, an AVG warning appeared saying there were threats on that page. My first reaction was that his computer had picked up some malware, but on further inspection, I got the same alerts on Ebay so their website must have been compromised and was attempting to deliver malware.

Secret-Squirrel 18:12 01 Oct 2016

I can find no other reports of this from other internet users.

I used Xania's thread title in a Google search and found loads of reports.

lotvic 18:18 01 Oct 2016

Yes, I've found the warning now, only in MS Edge Browser, don't get any warning when using Firefox.

xania 18:19 01 Oct 2016

Using IE11 in Windows 10 Version 1607 the url bar becomes shaded red and there is a white cross in a red circle followed by the words 'Unsafe Content'. If you click on the white cross you get the report that Microsoft Smartscreen filter has identified the problem. When I was speaking the Ebay, they advised that other users were reporting the same problem.

However, my Norton was not reporting any problems when I allowed the 'Unsafe Content' through, unlike when I get those dodgy Flash update warnings which I now always ignore where-ever they come from.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Elephone U2 Review

Ichijo Hikaru's riso print pop art is a celebration of the female body

New iPhone 11 (2019) release date, price & specs rumours

Les bons plans audio (2019)