Microsoft Account security pop up

Cockney Rebel 10:42 31 Aug 2018

Good morning folks, Have been getting a pop up appear soon after I turn my laptop on asking me to sign in/verify my Microsoft A/C.Put the correct password in and promptly get told it is incorrect!!Changed password via the pop up. and it goes away.Sign on later and lo and behold its there again same scenario.Twice now this happened in the last 2 days.Managed to alter th epassword again and set up 2 step verification.Pop up appeared again just now when I signed on .Is this likel to be a scam or is it genuine.How do I get rid of it.Many thanks

Cockney Rebel 10:46 31 Aug 2018

Forgot to mention I,ve run a full virus scan which found and deleted one suspect item but doesn,t tell me what it was called.Malwarebytes finds nothing.Browser set to delete history etc when closed.Windows 10 version 1803.

rdave13 07:47 01 Sep 2018

It could be that your computer isn't a trusted device. link . It will also ask for a code when you select Privacy (did for me) and go through the same routine.Remember to check the box. Hopefully that will sort it.

MJS WARLORD 18:03 01 Sep 2018

don't panic cockney , just ignore it , I get it at least 3 times a day if you get an extra screen asking for your password before you get to desktop , type it in then once at desktop type netplwiz into run run box and follow the prompts , you wont be asked for password again at boot up..... forgot to say its your Microsoft account password its wanting.

rdave13 18:56 01 Sep 2018

MJS WARLORD removing the password or PIN to log in to your account defeats the object of being as secure as you can be. I don't think that advice is good in my humble opinion. Each to their own as they say.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Book 2: Release date, price and specs

This First Man soundtrack vinyl cover art is exquisitely composed

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Meilleurs VPN (2018)