Microphone cable extension.

  cycoze 00:05 16 Dec 2003

Does anyone know how i can either extend a cable for a PC Mic or get a cheapish extension/buy a new Mic with a long lead ?

I want to use a mic approximately 4.5 metres away from the PC , any ideas/suggestions.

  Djohn 01:16 16 Dec 2003

Any small shop that sells TV's and other electrical goods should have these in stock, or you can purchase a length of speaker wire and the two connectors, [One male one female] and make up an extension yourself for a few pounds. j.

  LastChip 10:53 16 Dec 2003

If your going to do that, use Coax cable. But I have a feeling you may have a problem with that length of cable.

Something at the back of my mind tells me, you get too much attenuation (signal loss) for the type of microphone supplied for use with a PC, but I can't be sure.

For what it would cost, it's probably worth a try anyway.

  Djohn 12:48 16 Dec 2003

My apologies, don't know how that slipped in! Please substitute "Microphone lead" for "speaker" :o(

  cycoze 22:20 17 Dec 2003

Thanks Djohn , LastChip , i`ll have a go at making one up , i have an old Trust mic in the computer glory hole ! i can butcher that .

  Dragon Heart 22:29 17 Dec 2003

I think you can get shielded speaker wire, it's more flexible than coax cable and easier to attach to a 3.5mm mic plug / socket, but it's still a good idea.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6 review

Best art and design exhibitions in 2018

MacBook Pro keyboard issues and other problems

E3 2018 : dates, conférences de presse, billets et plus