Micro ATX

Peterkins777 20:39 08 Feb 2008

Hi, Just got a new PC which has an Intel pearl creek micro ATX mother board I would like to put in a graphics card possibly a 8600 would this or a similar size card fit? Many thanks Peterkins777

citadel 22:02 08 Feb 2008

it will fit the board but the case needs to be big enough and you need a 350w or better psu.

skidzy 22:02 08 Feb 2008

You need to consider the contents of the case,such as cables /drives etc.
Normally you should be absolutely ok,i take it you have a socket 775 that has a pci-e slot availble ?

I see no real problems,just make sure you have plenty of cooling and that all cables are tied to allow air flow.

skidzy 22:15 08 Feb 2008

how spooky,the thread sits there for over an hour with no replies....and we reply exactly the same time..eerie !!!

Peter,just something to be aware of;

If a new pc,opening the case may void any warranty you currently have.

While on the subject of a psu,i would recommend at least something in the region of 450w upwards and branded if you are a gamer.

Take note of citadel's post,make sure you have a big enough case before buying the card.

wee eddie 22:15 08 Feb 2008

Such a MoBo suggests a reduced size of Case.

If that is the case you may have problems as 1/2 depth Cards are few and far between. Also PSUs are frequently designed specifically for the case.

Good Luck.

Stuartli 23:17 08 Feb 2008

To be quite honest I avoid micro ATX boards, cases and PSUs like the plague...:-)

Peterkins777 09:21 09 Feb 2008

Hi everyone, My wife bought the computer as a surprise after my old one died a nasty death, she knew roughly what I wanted but left the rest to the builder. I have a full tower ATX case and there is enough room inside to house the cat! So I was very surprised to see such a small mother board. Many thanks for all your comments and help. Peter

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?