Messing up a drive back up

bumpkin 22:43 10 Aug 2018

I was using Minitool "Copy Disc". I formatted the destination drive G then copied C to it. Now neither of them will boot and no I did not do it the wrong way round. I am now using my external back up drive but am reluctant to try to copy that as it is the last chance saloon.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:28 10 Aug 2018

boot from c and try a startup repair by powering off after 5 secs do three times to get to the repair menu.

if that doesn't work boot from windows 10 boot media (USb or DVD) and try the same thing.

rdave13 00:40 11 Aug 2018

If you're cloning (copying) you do not need to do any formatting or anything else to the destination drive as the cloning software will do it automatically. Never just clone the C:\ drive. You copy/clone the hard drive en bloc. All partitions.

bumpkin 19:32 11 Aug 2018

FB, thanks but it did not work.

rdave,It said copy disk in minitool which I tried to do. It then said something about the destination disk making the system unbootable which is why I formatted it first. It then appeared to do the copy but at the end neither disk would work. I have now resolved this by doing a clone using Macrium to both disks. Glad I keep an external back up disk.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Threadripper 2990WX review

New Nvidia graphics cards offer 'industry-changing' real-time raytracing on your computer for the…

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 9

Les meilleurs téléphones portables basiques (2018)