Messenger Service - Pop Up Nightmare!

[DELETED] 14:20 05 Sep 2003

Short Version -
Xp Home
All updates.
Every 5 minutes, I keep getting pop up like eg:
Message from Stop to Stop (todays date & time)
click here

and other ones like

Message from SystemAlert to unsafe User (date & Time)
Did you know that there is a one - click easy way to stop these pop ups forever?
For free information, please visit
click here

Have any of you come across these before?

Long Version -
About 4 weeks ago my Laptop, broke down due to lighten'. the modem was fried so of it went to get fixed.
I just received it back yesterday evening.
My laptop is an early 2002 model (Toshiba Satellite 3000)so does not come out of the box with SP1, I didn't have a copy of SP1 on disc so got it off my mate along with the blaster worm hotfix. After all my software was installed I connected to my usual ISP to the net via A-O-(awful)-L. After downloading a further 38 hotfixs from windows update I keep getting these pop-ups (see above) which aren't website based pop-up that you would get from angelfire or other such free webspace providers.

Can anyone please help, also I can't right click on my aol connection to view properties and enable the firewall that comes with XP Don't know why?
The virus software that I use is AVG 7 which is also fully updated.
i also have Ad-aware 6.
PLEASE HELP ME!!

[DELETED] 14:25 05 Sep 2003
  [DELETED] 14:35 05 Sep 2003

Cheers Djohn,
I hope that done that hope it works, what I can't understand is that website was dated june and I never came across this before or had to do some thing similar how long has this been around anyway?
Ps: thanks for the quick reply, hopefully I can relax now.

[DELETED] 14:52 05 Sep 2003

you could downoad Stop Windows Messenger Spam from click here

[DELETED] 15:20 05 Sep 2003

thanks expertec, but Djohns suggestion seems to have done the trick, I can now go back to surfing in peace, cheers folks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon Prime Day 2018: Best Deals & Launches

The humble pint glass is redesigned from bottoms up by design legend Sir Kenneth Grange

The best Amazon Prime Day Apple deals 2018

Quel est le meilleur antivirus pour Windows ?