Mesh PC (6800GT SLI based) - unable to play games

malfranks 11:18 19 Jun 2005

A couple of months ago i bought a PC from Mesh

Asus A8N SLI Deluxe, AMD64 4000+, 1GB PC3200 RAM, 2 x Geforce 6800GT, 2 x 200GB SATA HD, Sony DDU1613 DVD-ROM & Sony DW-D22A Dual Layer DVD-R/RW

The first hiccup with the above was that whoever setup the PC hadn't fully installed XP, but a fresh reinstall (after rescuing the drivers - which they only provide on the Hard Disk) sorted this out

Machine works fine - until I run any game more intense than Solitaire!

After a few minutes it either:

a) crashes and the monitor goes into stand by while everything else continues;

b) system completely resets but the monitor doesn't come on and i have to do a hard reset

sometimes a single beep is heard from the PC speaker before any of the above crashes. Sometimes dotted vertical lines appear on screen.

Tried various drivers but get the same results

malfranks 21:53 30 Jun 2005

Once the message pops up - it starts to behave itself and temperatures drop. No idea though - whether it's the protecting of the power or the drop in temperatures resulting in it that's keeping it from resetting though.

The power message had never popped up before today - could be the addition of the aforementioned fan (which seems mainly designed to cool the cpu rather than the inside of the case as a whole) which is affecting the power supply.

Flak999 23:42 30 Jun 2005

Dont know if this will help, but I have just been browsing the nvidia website and i came across this link click here=*58TMiJh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD0yMzUmcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3BhZ2U9Mw**&p_li=&p_topview=1which I think might be worth looking into!

malfranks 20:20 21 Jul 2005

Well I've got it back and it's not crashed so far :)

However, when i first plugged it in i noticed that one of the DVD drives was detected as "WONY$ VW$D" at POST and when it started to load up XP it wouldn't get past the moving bar thingy which stopped for a few seconds every now and then.

However after a full power down and restart it was back to normal. Could this be indicative of a cable come loose in transit?

malfranks 10:04 01 Aug 2005

Spoke too soon. It's still crashing but far less often.

The temperature issue seems to be less of a problem, however during games I will get lock ups or reboots.

As with before with reboots the monitor goes into standby and doesn't come out of it until a hard reboot.

Also a few times while just on the windows desktop the screen will momentarily go blank (as if it's changing resolution) but I get the two-tone sound from my speakers that I usually hear when i plug in a peripheral into the USB socket.

Any ideas?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Oppo Reno 2 Z review: Hands-on

TikTok and how to use it for illustration success

macOS Catalina Review: New MacOS update turns your Mac into an entertainment hub

Les meilleures coques pour iPhone 11, 11 Pro et 11 Pro Max (2019)