Mesh PC (6800GT SLI based) - unable to play games

malfranks 11:18 19 Jun 2005

A couple of months ago i bought a PC from Mesh

Asus A8N SLI Deluxe, AMD64 4000+, 1GB PC3200 RAM, 2 x Geforce 6800GT, 2 x 200GB SATA HD, Sony DDU1613 DVD-ROM & Sony DW-D22A Dual Layer DVD-R/RW

The first hiccup with the above was that whoever setup the PC hadn't fully installed XP, but a fresh reinstall (after rescuing the drivers - which they only provide on the Hard Disk) sorted this out

Machine works fine - until I run any game more intense than Solitaire!

After a few minutes it either:

a) crashes and the monitor goes into stand by while everything else continues;

b) system completely resets but the monitor doesn't come on and i have to do a hard reset

sometimes a single beep is heard from the PC speaker before any of the above crashes. Sometimes dotted vertical lines appear on screen.

Tried various drivers but get the same results

malfranks 11:46 19 Jun 2005

Easier said than done. Tech support phone isn't available outside of work hours, when suprising enough I'm at work ;) and their website appears to be down so I can't post a request for help.

Hoping their site is back up and running tomorrow

malfranks 11:59 19 Jun 2005

malfranks 23:04 19 Jun 2005

Thanks.

I'll wait for a response from Mesh before trying BIOS upgrade :)

Also wondering whether it could be a cooling problem.

malfranks 16:33 20 Jun 2005

I ran "Real-time High Dynamic Range Image-Based Lighting Demo"

click here

in windowed mode with display options open showing the GPU temperature and shortly before it reset the card was showing 96C - is this too hot for a 6800GT and be causing the crashes?

malfranks 19:33 30 Jun 2005

Received a power splitter from Davey to hook up the fan on the removable side panel that hadn't been hooked up. Unfortunately it's still overheating. Temperature panel in display settings is showing the ambient temperature inside the PC at 64C+ and GPU temperature is still hitting the 90s. :(

malfranks 19:50 30 Jun 2005

Wonder if something like this would help

click here

Though that would require another splitter :/

Flak999 20:42 30 Jun 2005

I know its not much help but, I have just purchased an Evesham system with an AMD 64 FX55 CPU, 1GB Ram, 300GB sata hard drive, 2x Geforce 6800GT on pci express with sli bridge, Audigy 2zs sound card and creative 7.1 speakers.

I have been playing Halflife 2 deathmatch all afternoon with no problems, so the duel card pci express system does work. According to my temperature readings I have an idle cpu temp of 31C which rises to 48C under full load, AMD's maximum temp for this chip is 63C, both graphics cards record an idle temp of 71C and they have a core slowdown setting of 127C so yours is well within this!

As an aside when I purchased the machine I was advised to get the FX55 chip with the two 6800GT's because I was told there would be processor lag if I used the 4000 chip.

malfranks 21:13 30 Jun 2005

Hmmm ran the test again - monitoring cpu and mobo - no problem there CPU and mobo went up to 50C - this time nVidia Sentinel popped up with

"The NVIDIA System Sentinel is reporting tht the NVIDIA-powered graphics card is not receiving sufficient power. To protect your hardware from potential damage or causing a potential system lockup, the graphics processor has lowered its performance to a level that allows continued safe operations."

I'm not even operating in SLI mode

With regard to the temperature yep it slows down at 127C but the driver monitor thingy does highlight temperatures in the mid-90s up in the red zone - so it probably still could do with little cooling too :)

Flak999 21:29 30 Jun 2005

What is the output of your psu? mine is a Tagan 420W, perhaps thats where the problem lies?

malfranks 21:41 30 Jun 2005

550W - it's a HEC 550TD-PTE

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy 13 (2019) review

Call Me By Your Name and other queer film classics are celebrated in Aiste Stancikaite's prints…

Apple Watch Series 5 release date, price & specs rumours

Quel est le meilleur Mac pour un ├ętudiant ?