Mesh Matrix & Re-install XP from Recovery CD

Giggle n' Bits 01:49 27 Feb 2005

I have a out of warranty Mesh (just)
I need to reinstall the Windows XP from the supplied Blue Recovery CD. I don't want to use the R Recovery console thing but install XP fully again back to factory settings.

Thing is my documentation doesn't indicate how you do it.

Any one own a Mesh Matrix Towe with WinXP Home Please who can tell me how to do the recovery.

groundhog 02:05 27 Feb 2005

I had a Mesh and when I tried to do a recovery the only option I was offered when I ran the recovery disk was back to factory settings and all data would be wiped.

Maybe someone else has a more recent machine than mine

georgemac © 07:46 27 Feb 2005

I did one for a friend recently after xp sp2 went wrong.

I just put the disk in, set the bios to boot from cd-rom and reinstalled xp on top of itself. It went OK, had to reinstall all drivers and software again though.

This perhaps was not too straight forward as the pc was continually rebooting due to the sp2 problem - the PC had a SATA hard drive and had no floppy so I had to get mesh to send a cd with the sata drivers slipstreamed. After the reinstall a hidden partition on the hard drive appeared which is used by Mesh for recovery.

click here guide from powerless on how to repair xp

If you do use the recovery console click here another guide by powerless

rômanab 10:09 27 Feb 2005

The Mesh recovery cd is no more than an oem copy of Win xp and as such can be used in the same way.

On my Mesh I have a recovery partition which can be accessed by hitting F10, when prompted, after the initial bios has loaded, here there is a hidden option for returning to factory settings.

Giggle n' Bits 20:04 27 Feb 2005

seems the CD is just needed to be in the CDROM and boot from.
I will be trying this in a hour. I am backing all my work.

Thanks to groundhog, georgemac © & M8 Powerless as always. Back later.

great1 21:43 27 Feb 2005

1. ENTER BIOS AND CHANGE BOOT SEQ. TO CD ROM FIRST!!!!! SAVE SETTINGS AND EXIT
2.INSERT MESH CD AND REBOOT
3.AT THE REPAIR CONSOLE WINDOW SELECT FRESH OR CLEAN INSTALL WHEN PROMPTED AS TO WHAT PARTITION TO USE SELECT DELETE CURRENT PARTITION. IF YOU DONT YOU WILL LEAVE THE PRESENT OPERATING SYSTEM INTACT USING UP DISK SPACE.AFTER VARIOUS PROMPTS TO DELETE YOU WILL BE RETURNED TO THE REPAIR CONSOLE SELECT CLEAN INSTALL.
4.SELECT FORMAT NTFS
5.YOUR HD WILL NOW BE FORMATTED
6.AFTER A WHILE YOR SYSTEM WILL REBOOT
DO NOT SELECT HIT ANY KEY TO BOOT FROM CD ROM OR YOU WILL REPEAT THE SAME PROCEDURE OVER AGAIN MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR PRODUCT ID TO HAND

great1 22:02 27 Feb 2005

PS AFTER INSTALLATION GO BACK INTO BIOS AND CHANGE YOUR FIRST BOOT UP DEVICE BACK TO FLOPPY OR WHATEVER IT WAS

great1 22:19 27 Feb 2005

PPS one other thing PAY PARTICULAR ATTENTION WHEN ASKED ABOUT YOUR TIME REGION IE GMT AND LANGUAGE INPUT IE ENGLISH UK OR US THAT GOES FOR KEYBOARD LAYOUT AS WELL
G1

Giggle n' Bits 22:26 27 Feb 2005

I have deleated the old partition and now formatting the new one in NTFS, ok from here on.

Thanks guys/gals? & great1

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)