Memory upgrade - is it worth it

exprog 11:32 25 Oct 2005

Current machine has Athlon 64 3400 processor, with 2 x 512mb memory pc3200 modules. Machine used for general things but including video rendering.
My question is:- is it worth adding more memory, as I have 1 spare memory slot.
I have looked at several posts and some people say more memory is better, whereas others say upgrading past 1 GB is not worth it.
Your comments please..

wee eddie 12:07 25 Oct 2005

Unless you are Video Rendering on an industrial scale.

Your Graphics Card is more crucial in such conditions.

fazer 13:38 25 Oct 2005

exprog

I also do a lot of video editing and also photo-editing using Photoshop. I upgraded to 1.25Gb (from 512mb) and the improvement was outstanding and is more than adequate for these two needs.

So I agree with wee eddie - spend your money on something else.

freaky 14:00 25 Oct 2005

I have an Athon 64 3500 processor, initially I had 2 X 250MB of Ram. Added a matching pair of 512MB sticks from Crucial giving a total of 1.5GB.

Made a big improvement to the speed of Bootup and Shudown. The price of RAM is reasonably low at present hence my opting for a 1024MB upgrade, but I think if I had upgraded to a total of 1024MB instead, then the outcome would have been the same.

hssutton 14:36 25 Oct 2005

I use Photoshop CS2. Prior to today running with 1Gb ram at times this would slow to a crawl when editing large image files (100-150Mb). This morning I installed a further 1Gb, the improvement is tremendous.

i.tech 14:48 25 Oct 2005

It really depends on how you feel about it - more memory almost always increases performance but at above 1gig are you really going to notice it for what your using. Personally I wouldn't bother.

Totally-braindead 15:36 25 Oct 2005

I'm afraid I wouldn't bother either, from what I can recall on an article on the subject, once you reach 1 gig adding more memory would increase performance by less than 5%. Waste of cash I'm afraid, save your money and buy something else.

exprog 15:49 25 Oct 2005

Thanks for your comments. It seems that 1GB is plenty and I will save my cach.

exprog 15:49 25 Oct 2005

Sorry that should read CASH

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Artist Pete Oswald on creating relatable characters & his new book

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Idées cadeaux pour geeks et tech addicts