Memory Test Question

I am Spartacus 18:19 07 Aug 2008

I have recently bought 2 x 2GB sticks of G.Skill PC28500 RAM which is supposed to run at 1066MHz but the system won't boot at that setting. It does boot at 800MHz though.

CPU-Z shows it as PC2-6400 (800Mhz). I requested an RMA and was told to run MemTest86 which is fair enough. I let it run for about 5 minutes and one stick showed thousands of errors. I also ran the MS Memeory Diagnostics tool with similar results.

Reporting this back to the supplier I was told

'Please let me know the outcome a couple of passes of memtest will be fine as long as it is more than one as the memory will not warm up enough with one test.'

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I often am) but my understanding was:

If it fails at any point in the test then its failed.

RAM running cool is better than RAM running hot, why else should RAM coolers be available?

Any thoughts please?

woodchip 18:57 07 Aug 2008

If they will not change it, just say Consumer Protection. That should ring a bell

I am Spartacus 18:58 07 Aug 2008

I have changed BIOS settings including Northbridge and Southbridge voltages and latency timings both before reporitng the problem and at their suggestion with no change in the result.

This is not a bog standard build 'em high, flog 'em cheap company like Novatech but one who you would expect to know what they're talking about.

The quote in my first post does suggest they don't know what they're talking about but I would appreciate confirmation.

I am Spartacus 18:59 07 Aug 2008

Woody, I've no problem with them requesting me to do additional testing but as I've said I expect them to do it from knowledge rather than bulling me or working to a script.

woodchip 19:02 07 Aug 2008

That’s why I said you should grab hold by the scrufft of the neck

I am Spartacus 19:12 07 Aug 2008

Stickers on the RAM says it's PC-8500. Supplier has agreed it could be incorrectly marked.

Vista Business & XP Pro (tried in 2 systems)

Asus P5K Premium Wifi/AP Black Pearl Edition (both systems).

Both systems run with Crucial Balliistix Tracer PC-8500 at 1066MHz, also Corsair Dominator PC6400. Corsair XMS2 PC6400 and Crucial Ballistix PC6400 all at 800MHz.

I am Spartacus 08:28 08 Aug 2008

The Villageidiot

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by the code numbers. The specifications are F2-8500CL5D CL 5-5-5-15, 2.0V-2.1V. I've tried relaxing the timings to 6-6-6-18 without a difference. It sill won't boot at 1066MHz and errors at 800MHz.

Both OS are 32-bit. I've tried setting the memory remap feature in the BIOS to enabled and disabled with no difference in the results.

DieSse

I've already had to do a 'repair' due to my system being screwed.

gartoy

I'd set the voltages at 2.1V. I always manually set the vcore and DRAM voltage rather than rely on the Auto settings. I wouldn't try higher ones unless advised to do so by the manufacturer (as has been the case with my Corsair RAM).

I am Spartacus 12:46 08 Aug 2008

Ah, I see what you mean now about the code numbers. They're covered by a heatspreader so I can't see them.

It doesn't boot with either stick if the speed is set to 1066MHz but does at 800MHz. I'd seen the QVL but assumed that only included RAM they'd physically tested with it.

My Crucial Ballistix isn't on the QVL either and that runs fine albeit it's 2 x 1GB sticks.

None of the RAM I've used on my other system with an Asus P5W DH Deluxe is on the QVL list either but has worked OK with up to 4GB of PC6400 RAM from Crucial and Corsair although I had to up the voltage by .2v (on Corsairs advice) to get 4GB to run at 800MHz.

One of the G.Skill sticks still fails in MemTest though at the 800MHz speed. I'm not sure now what that means, is it faulty or is it incompatible?

I am Spartacus 13:12 08 Aug 2008

and I appreciate it.

The Vista system is running an E8400
The XP system is running a Q9450

Although both are overclocked I've ensured the RAM divider runs it at 1066MHz.

I think Asus may have the coding for the Kingston wrong at KHX8500D2K2/2GN I think it should be KHX8500D2K2/4GN and if that's the case I've found some nearly £30 less than I paid for this.

I realise that both system will not use slightly more than around 3.2GB (but thought it was easier to get a single kit rather than 2 x 1GB and 2 x 512MB sets.

As mentioned above CPU-Z reports it as PC6400 but I suppose that could be a problem with the program.

I am Spartacus 13:20 08 Aug 2008

I was wrong about the Kingston reference. I'm not sure that 2GB sticks are available, at least in the UK.

I am Spartacus 18:51 08 Aug 2008

Ditch999

Thanks for looking. That RAM though looks to be PC5300 running at 667MHz and although I can tweak the RAM divider to a certain extent for my overclocks I'm not sure it will go that low.

I've now got my RMA number and I've requested a refund rather than replacement.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei MateBook X Pro (2019) review

Nvidia’s Gaugan tech turns simple colour blocks into realistic landscapes

New AirPods 2 launch: Release date, price, features & specs

AirPower : date de sortie, prix et fiche technique