Memory / RAM problem

dave1234xxx 16:40 15 Nov 2010

Hi

My first post.

I have a HP Pavillion TX1000 that ran 2 x 512mb memory chips. The PC suffered a haevy blow causing one of the memory slots to become detached (soldering) from the Motherboard. It would require a very expensive Motherboard? Or is it fairly straightforward and cheap?

Im thinking of running the PC from ONE memory slot. It seems to work ok - but VERY VERY slow. Questions: Can I fix this by just updating the memory chip to a 2GB chip and then just putting that into the single slot (and removing the remaining 512mb chip?) Will this work? Thanks!

bremner 16:52 15 Nov 2010

Have a look click here

dave1234xxx 17:22 15 Nov 2010

The Hard Drive is knackered and has been replaced - it wasnt being recignised at all even in the BIOS.

Im getting conflicting reports the actual model is Tx1250ea from the sticker by the bar-code. There seems to be some suggestion that a 2GB would be compatible.

Say I do replace it with a 1GB (or a 2GB if possible) will it actually make the thing as fast as it once was, or will it have no real impact?

GaT7 17:37 15 Nov 2010

It may make a difference if you can backup & do a fresh OS install/recovery, as this will get rid of all the rubbish that's collected over the years. A clean-up is also recommended (like in this thread click here), but it may not make as much of an impact as a fresh install/recovery AND the tip below.

Another thing recommended is to get a larger internal hard drive, &/or make the OS partition as empty as possible - i.e. generally with more free space available, the faster a system will be. The new HD can be a larger capacity 2.5" one to replace what you have now, OR an external 3.5" USB one to keep as much data off the OS partition as possible. G

GaT7 17:51 15 Nov 2010

You could be right about it accepting a 2Gb module as some online stores a selling these for your model - see click here. But confirm this by running the Crucial scanner at click here (your model cannot be found by a manual search).

If you can confirm that a 2Gb module is indeed compatible, I could find you a cheaper price than Orcalogic or Crucial. G

dave1234xxx 17:56 15 Nov 2010

I can confirm that the scan says 2BG is compatible. Will it speed the PC up. When I had the dual memory 2 x 512mb it was fast enough. Im thinking that a 2GB will make it even faster than it was before - or is this simply wrong? Would be interested in the cheaper price :)

GaT7 18:13 15 Nov 2010

If that's a single 2Gb in EACH slot, then these start at £25 to £28 delivered at:
- eBuyer click here (choose cheapest delivery) &
- Play click here

Please ensure that you are buying a SINGLE 2Gb DDR2 module as some in the above searches are 2x1Gb & DDR3.

Yes, a single 2Gb module will be better than 2x512Mb modules even though it will be running in single channel. Having a 50% (or greater) free OS partition will also help considerably. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

HomePod review

Streaming : Netflix ou Amazon Prime Video ?