Memory frequency not as per specification

wiganken2 10:44 05 May 2018
Answered

I have one 8GB DDR3-1333 memory stick (click here inserted into one of the two DDR3 memory slots on my motherboard which supports up to DDR3-2400 MHz memory sticks. I have run two diagnostic tools “CPUID CPU-Z” and “Speccy” and both report memory frequency as 666.5MHz which is half of 1333MHz. For what I do (nothing memory intensive) my RAM is adequate but I am confused. If my RAM stick is 1333MHz then why is it only operating at half speed? Is it a BIOS setting or is not possible to tweak RAM speed? Thank you in advance of any help.

Old Deuteronomy 11:05 05 May 2018

Check in the BIOS, it looks like DDR (double data rate) is not enabled.

Flat Earther 12:11 05 May 2018

666Mhz is correct, DDR means the transfer rate is double the frequency.

wiganken2 15:42 05 May 2018

Thanks for your answers. More questions arise from this: - I am only using one DDR3 slot with 8GB DDR-1333 module in it. Am I correct that using both DDR3 slots is faster than using one because they are working in parallel? I am not doing memory intensive stuff and I am happy with how things perform so I reckon my questions are only because I like to understand what goes on inside my PC. I could probably get away with 4GB RAM in the form of two 2GB DDR3-1600 modules (faster than 1333). This would be quite cheap at £36 but would any speed increase be noticeable? If not then I'll leave well alone.

Old Deuteronomy 16:04 05 May 2018

You are right that using both memory slots should be faster as the memory interface will be able to operate in dual-channel mode, theoretically doubling bandwidth. However, you will likely gain more from having 8GB than you lose from not having dual-channel enabled.

wiganken2 16:15 05 May 2018
Answer

Thanks once again. I am a happy chappy now. I'll leave well alone now I understand what is going on. I'll stop following this thread now.

Flat Earther 16:29 05 May 2018

Unless your OS is 32bit then you'd be right to leave well alone, and if it was 32bit I'd say upgrade to a 64bit version rather than downgrade the amount of RAM you have.

wiganken2 18:46 05 May 2018

I have a 64bit Windows 8.1 OS so leave well alone then?

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HTC U12 Plus review: Hands-on

Best Android emulators for Mac

Comment utiliser l’Apple Store Éducation ?