Medion External Harddrive Help

banatog 14:16 28 May 2004

I bought a Medion harddrive through Aldi at the beginning of the year and have had serious problems with it. Initially folders would become inaccessable and I would lose anything in them. I contacted Medion and was told to reformat and see if it happened again. I did this and for a while it was fine, then last week I lost an entire drive 25gb. of work - 4 days before my uni deadlines. Luckily I had everyrthing backed up as I still didnt trust the thing. I contacted Medion and found I couldnt get my money back - can only do htat for the first 28 days from ALdi.
So I guess I want to know is there a reason why the harddrive did this and if I get a new one is it likely to happen again. Or should I try to get a refund somehow?

Dipso 14:39 28 May 2004

Did Medion not offer any kind of guarantee themselves?

I know Aldi only refund up to 28 days after purchase but I would have thought that Medion would have guaranteed the part for 12 months.

Fruit Bat 16:34 28 May 2004

I assume you are connecting via usb2. make sur you click the safely remove hardware icon and remove your drive before disconnecting or unpluggin the drive. Data is lost otherwise.
Also do this before shutting down, his should solve your problems.

Fruit Bat 16:34 28 May 2004

I assume you are connecting via usb2. make sur you click the safely remove hardware icon and remove your drive before disconnecting or unpluggin the drive. Data is lost otherwise.
Also do this before shutting down, his should solve your problems.

banatog 01:53 29 May 2004

Aldi have the 28 day return Medion only offer repairs and replacements apprantly. If I d known this I would have thought twice though Ive got a lot of Medion stuff thats worked well.
Actually connected by firewire I do use the safely remove hardware button but far to often for my liking it says it is still being used by the PC even though nothing is happening. Nothing I can do will stop it bringing up this box sometimes. Its actually set up for quick removal so using the remove icon shouldnt be neccasary besides the lost folders and drive would be corrupt after shutting down the drive properly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)