ME & XP Restore function failure

pavel 12:10 30 Nov 2003

I have 2pcs running XP on one & ME on the other
On both I can,t Restore the system to a restore point, both seem to go through the process then end with a message that says "Restore failed"
or similar . Is this just a "thing" with a not too reliable programme? I have turned Restore off and on previously to run anti virus progs from Symantec, does this make a difference?

Trackrat 12:19 30 Nov 2003

If you turn of system restore you lose all your restore points.

pavel 12:23 30 Nov 2003

Thank you trackrat, true, I should have said I was having the problem prior to turning off and on
I would select a restore point but it would still come up with the failure message

rawprawn 12:24 30 Nov 2003

I don't really understand the question, are you trying to restore the system or a program. If so what is the program, and if you have turned system restore off you will have lost the previous restore points so you may not be able to go back further. I don't run Symantec but is it absolutely necessary to turn system restore off, I don't when I run Avast, I know it can't scan in system restore but if you scan regularly you should be OK.

rawprawn 12:28 30 Nov 2003

Have just seen the last posting which appeared while I was typing, what is the program it sounds as though it might be dodgy?

pavel 12:31 30 Nov 2003

Thank you rawprawn I am referring to the System Restore that comes with ME & XP. It is important to disable system restore when using Symantec (Norton) anti virus downloads such as Fix Klez etc.

pavel 12:32 30 Nov 2003

My aim is to restore the System settings back to a known "Everything works fine point"

Trackrat 12:36 30 Nov 2003

Have you tyied putting the XP cd in and doing a repair to see if this cures your problem.

pavel 12:39 30 Nov 2003

Thank you trackrat I will try this when I return to work on the pcs tomorrow.

rawprawn 13:47 30 Nov 2003

It may not be necessary to do a full system repair. Put the XP cd in the drive, let it auto run & exit, now go to start/run and type sfc /scannow this will scan for altered or missing files & should hopefully solve your problem ( if it asks for the cd at any time press OK )
I don't know about Windows ME but I think it is the same

VoG II 14:36 30 Nov 2003

You only need to turn off System Restore if your anti-virus detects a virus in a restore point and cannot delete it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)