ME to XP programmes gone AWOL!

nelliehob 20:07 17 Jan 2004

Hi I have just upgraded a machine from Me to Xp and when it loads up in XP there are no icons at all @cept for the recycle bin and the progrms have gone awol! I found the files and programmes on C in explorer.
What's gone wrong?

Trackrat 20:14 17 Jan 2004

When you first load XP that is the only icon you get on the screen, if you want others just right click it in the all programmes list and highlight Send To and click on Desktop ( create shortcut ).

nelliehob 20:18 17 Jan 2004

Thanks Trackrat I'll give it a go.

\another problem it has at startup is a screen asks if i want to boot up in Me or xp - can i get rid of this and ME?

gold 47 20:25 17 Jan 2004

Go to control panel click display then desktop click customize desktop check the four icons they will now appear on your desktop to add more follow
what has been said already.

gold 47 20:29 17 Jan 2004

Did you convert FAT32 to NTFS?? Have you loaded XP onto a spare partition? you should be booting
into XP not be asked do you want ME or XP.

gold 47 20:30 17 Jan 2004

Did you convert FAT32 to NTFS?? Have you loaded XP onto a spare partition? you should be booting
into XP not be asked do you want ME or XP.

VoG II 20:51 17 Jan 2004

Er - it looks like you have created a dual-boot rather than "upgraded a machine from Me to Xp".

You might be better off formatting and starting again.

nelliehob 20:51 17 Jan 2004

Hi gold 47

The answer is i dont know- how do I cure the problem?

gold 47 20:18 19 Jan 2004

The way i would do it is put a W98 or WME into yhe floppy
on the prompt choose without CDRom support an the A:\ prompt type fdisk and delete the DOS partition
also check the none dos partition delete this although i don't think this will be required in your case,set the bios to first boot CD ROM put the FULL VERSION of WXP and reboot and follow the prompts on your XP install disk.

gold 47 20:19 19 Jan 2004

Sorry for spelling errors.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?