Is ME a pig

The Paul 21:26 06 Oct 2003

I've recently bought a new system. AMD 2400, 512 MB RAM, 80 GB H/D, CDRW and DVD ROM. The system is excellent and cost was excellent - £580 incl 17 screen and other bits and bobs.

Problem, is that it is loaded with WinME which appears to be very unstable. I have Office 2000, Dreamweaver MX, Photoshop 5.5 and several drivers for hardware. All of this was running quite well on my old Win98 SE system. With the new job, I get freeze time often. Reboot and its fine. It just locks up once, twice three times or more a day. It seems to be when there are 2,3 or 4 apps open. say IE6, Photoshop and MusicMatch Jukebox (twice today).

I keep reading that ME is a bit of a pig and conflicts with many software apps and drivers. If this is so, do I take the hit and get XP?

If its not all down to ME, I can reformat and start all over again. Cheers - Paul

The Paul 22:07 06 Oct 2003

This is what I expected to hear. Why though is ME causing these problems and is it possible to sort out ME before I spend any more money

mammak 22:14 06 Oct 2003

The Paul, never as much as saw "ME" in action, but have worked on a 95, have an 98se, upstair,s
that was meant for my 6 yr old, when we got the xp pro, she wont touch it now, she uses the xp, so the 98se is going to my 18 yr old,(that,s recently set up in her own flat)wouldnt, couldnt go back after xp, it,s out standing, after the ("blue screens with 98se")xp is a very stable system, and of course till you get used to it you will be able to switch to , classic veiw, you might feel at home then, for a while, then switch back, and enjoy. regard,s Mammak

woodchip 22:15 06 Oct 2003

Format the Drive and put all your own software on including 98. That's what I would do

The Paul 22:56 06 Oct 2003

General concensus is XP. I still wonder why ME was so problematic although I'd be very old by the time I'd figured it out.

Any more tips - please feel free to shoot. In the meantime, I'll price an XP upgrade then.

Cheers folks
Paul

Forum Editor 23:05 06 Oct 2003

I'm going to say that I have had WinME running on one of my office computers ever since it was launched, and it hasn't crashed once (yet!).

There were certainly driver issues with ME when it was released, but that was largely resolved as time went on. Huge numbers of people are running ME very successfully, and once you get a stable setup it won't readily fall over.

Having said all that, WinXP is the best by far, and long after the pain of paying has faded you'll be glad you migrated.

The Paul 23:15 06 Oct 2003

I think you have, as usual, hit nails on heads. You say that once ou get a stable setup. I have tried removing various software apps and drivers. Sometimes it runs well and the next thing it locks up. I think that I could spend hours of time trying to get the setup balance right when the cost of the upgrade might be just that bit less painless.

The Paul 23:17 06 Oct 2003

how awful.

You instead of ou.

Hours of time - oh dear.

Bit less painless. Cringes and hides.

Sorry folks. Doing too many things at the one time.

Forum Editor 23:49 06 Oct 2003

for another tablet Paul.

The Paul 00:00 07 Oct 2003

Epic response Chegs. Thanks.

spuds 00:28 07 Oct 2003

I wouldn't say so. I have used WME since it arrived, and not once can I really say that I have regretted using it.In fact I still have it on my slave drive, whilst I use XP Pro [which is another thing]on my main drive.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon slashes Echo Dot price to just £24.99 to kick off Black Friday

Best Black Friday deals for designers and artists 2018

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques audio (2018)