McAfee and Windows Firewalls

bpzoom 20:13 31 Mar 2005

McAfee is offered free with AOL but I have not used McAfee for fear of clashes with the Windows XP built-in firewall. Does anyone use McAfee or any other firewall alongside the Windows version without conflict problems? I only ask because of recent PCA advice encouraging the use of a firewall in addition to the Windows version.

VoG II 20:15 31 Mar 2005

Why not turn off the Windows firewall and use McAfee instead - it is 2-way whereas the Windows one is inbound only.

alan227 20:16 31 Mar 2005

If you have SP2 installed you can switch of the windows firewall from the security centre in the control panel so they will not clash.

bpzoom 20:32 31 Mar 2005

Thanks, yes I know but as PCA article said load two firewalls as a precaution I just wondered if there might be a problem. I can't remember now why I stopped the free McAfee and activated the Windows firewall.

Josie2805 21:10 31 Mar 2005

Running AOL BB gold, McAfee & Windows firewall running with no problems

gudgulf 22:08 31 Mar 2005

Also on AOL gold with the McAfee firewall and SP2.....no problems.I think you will find that the McAfee firewall will simply make itself the default one automatically, but it's a good idea to open the security centre and check that Windows' own firewall is actually turned off.

bpzoom 22:22 31 Mar 2005

Thank you again.

Strawballs 00:47 01 Apr 2005

I have McAfee internet suite 7 when I installed it windows firewall was turned off automatically.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

How Sketch and InVision have revolutionised our design workflow

The best tech gifts for Christmas 2017

Les meilleurs jeux de société (2017)