McAfee problems!

K-P 19:57 20 Jul 2006

I just bought Norton Anti virus to put on my computer and It's telling me that I have to first uninstall McAfee active shield. I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING AND NOTHING WILL WORK!!! HELP! I have tried to used add or remove programs but when i do that i get a message that pops up and says action cancelled and there is no way to close that message. i have gone into the administrative tools and disabled mcafee and ended all of its tasks.Norton keeps saying that i need to uninstall this McAfee stuff but nothing seems to be working. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

VoG II 20:00 20 Jul 2006

Try removing it in Safe Mode click here

Strawballs 20:04 20 Jul 2006

click here download and run this and remove anything McAfee I know it is only my opinion but I think that you are going the wrong way.

skidzy 20:19 20 Jul 2006

K-P..again..in my opinion you should have stuck with Mcafee or one of the free av and firewall programs,such as AVG and Zonealarm.

Your choice and i wish you all the best with Norton.

This link may help: click here

K-P 03:02 22 Jul 2006

I tried to get rid of McAfee while in safe mode but that didn't work at all.

Strawballs- on the website that you suggested is it the RegCleaner that I want to download?

rdave13 03:26 22 Jul 2006

Uninstall norton first. Reboot then uninstall mcafee. Reboot and install Norton if you have to.

Assuming you can uninstall Norton....ugh.

K-P 03:30 22 Jul 2006

I haven't even installed Norton onto my computer yet. It won't let me as long as McAfee is still on there even tho my subscription has been expired for a while now.

rdave13 03:35 22 Jul 2006

If you haven't installed Norton yet how is it able to inform you to uninstall mcafee? Something of Norton is already on your pc.

K-P 03:38 22 Jul 2006

No what happens is that when I put the CD in to install Norton it tells me that before it can run the instalition I need to get rid of McAfee Active Shield.

rdave13 03:40 22 Jul 2006

Disable mcafee and go to start--search--tick "all hidden files and folders"---if your hd is c\: then search for mcafee in "all files and folders". Delete all you find. Reboot then try to install NOrton.

K-P 03:44 22 Jul 2006

I already disabled McAfee. Right now I'm on a different computer, but tomorrow I will try doing all the rest of that and hopefully it will work. Thanks!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Creative studio Omnibus' brand identity for We Said Enough fights back against sexual misconduct

WWDC history: Apple's product launches since 2005

Espace de stockage : comment libérer de la mémoire sur votre iPhone ?