MBR problems W98SE

griffo 12:21 30 Aug 2004

Have been getting error messages when running Norton Disk Doctor, saying that it cannot repair the Boot Record. Was advised to create a Startup Disk if Add/Remove - reboot - at the A: prompt, type FDISK /MBR enter, when finished type sys C: enter. The last command didn't work. Also when booting from the floppy it says " W98 has detected C: doesn't contain a valid FAT or FAT32 partition".
What do I do now as I cannot get back into windows and don't know what commands to use. Can anyone please advise?

Peter 13:06 30 Aug 2004

It may be that you have lost your partition table. A programme called MBRWorks can restore the partition table in some cases. If you would like to try it I can email it to you; it is quite a small programme (24k with a readme file) and will fit easily onto a bootable floppy disk.

Peter.

griffo 13:11 30 Aug 2004

cheers Peter, will try anything. Mind you, can't get the PC to boot, even in safe mode at present!!

Peter 14:11 30 Aug 2004

As long as you can use a bootable floppy to boot the PC you should be able to use MBRWorks.

Email me using the little yellow envelope by my name on my reply and let me know your email address.

Peter.

Peter 16:14 30 Aug 2004

I have emailed the programme to you. Use it carefully!

Peter.

Zak 16:30 30 Aug 2004

Peter,

Any chance of sending me a copy of MBRWorks please?

I had heard of this but unable to find it anywhere.

Thanks

Zak

Zak 16:31 30 Aug 2004

Peter,

I had heard of this utility but unable to find it anywhere.

Thanks

Zak

Zak 16:31 30 Aug 2004

Peter,

I had heard of this utility but unable to find it anywhere.

Thanks

Zak

Peter 17:55 30 Aug 2004

Send me an email Zak and I will email you a copy (or three!) to the email address that you provide.

Peter.

Zak 18:51 30 Aug 2004

Just sent you an email.

I was not going for a hat trick posting on this forum, don't quite know what went wrong.

griffo 20:04 30 Aug 2004

Can boot from floppy - have run FDISK, yes to large disk support, option 4. Paritition Info.
Part'n Status Type Vol.lab. Mbytes System Useage
1 non dos 32055 82%
2 pri dos 31808 unknown 81%

This isn't right is it? Shouldn't P1 be pri dos and status Active and system Windows?

Any thoughts/remedies please?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Turn a photo into 16-bit pixel art

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?