MBR error

jg1990 23:52 10 Jan 2007

Evening all,

I've got a bit of trouble with a laptop conisistantly not booting and getting an MBR error. Basically after the machine POSTS the screen goes blank and just says "MBR Error, please F11 to fix"......pressing F11 doesn't make a difference.

Ive booted off the xp cd and ran repair and tried to repair the mbr using box fixmbr, I've tried chkdsk, reformatting the hd, all to no avail. Basically when I run fixmbr it says that it cannot due to some problem with the disk, i consistantly get this error with everything I try.

Please please help me as I'm at my wits end!

Many Thanks, James

terryf 00:51 11 Jan 2007

Could you use Belarc to find out drive details then download drive diagnostic programs from mfr website

jg1990 00:54 11 Jan 2007

Hi terryf,

unfortunately no, as I can't get into windows, it just constantly stops at the "MBR error, press f11 to fix"

I know the drive is a hitachi and have had a look at theirr website but am not sure which utility I actually need...

...any ideas?

Cheers, James

ForestChav 02:03 11 Jan 2007

HDD is probably dead.

If you're sure it's a Hitachi, how old is it? They had a bad batch about 4 years ago (just before I bought one!) that just clicked then died.

Diagnostic utility is here.
click here

jg1990 13:00 11 Jan 2007

Thanks for you replies,

at first I thought that the hd must be dead, but then I had second thoughts because I was able to format the disk from the command line from the xp repair thing. When I did this the disk formatted fine with no problems, but the problem is still here!!

I've now downloaded an army of various boot disks to see if I can salvage the hard drive!!

Thanks, James

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Creative studio Omnibus' brand identity for We Said Enough fights back against sexual misconduct

WWDC history: Apple's product launches since 2005

Espace de stockage : comment libérer de la mémoire sur votre iPhone ?