Maxtor or Western Digital?

Gaz W 10:06 15 Apr 2004

I'm having to replace my hard drive because of a mechanical failure and thought I'd take the opportunity to upgrade to a SATA 250GB drive. I now have the choice between these:

Maxtor Maxline Plus 2 SATA 7,200rpm UDMA150 8MB Cache

Western Digital Caviar SATA UDMA150 7,200rpm 8MB Cache (JD)

I'm looking for the best performance, although noise levels are also something I am taking into consideration.

Carm0 10:24 15 Apr 2004

best hard drives atm are seagate's

byfordr 10:31 15 Apr 2004

Not seen any Seagates bigger than 160gb...have purchase one of each in the last week. Either are great just make sure you get a 3 year warranty. click here is pretty good for the best prices. Most at cclcomputers have a 3 yr warranty

R

Gaz W 12:07 15 Apr 2004

Right then - I now include all manufacturers, but I can't see a 250GB Seagate; as byfordr says there doesn't seem to be a Seagate bigger than 160GB, at least that is listed there.

Gaz W 12:07 15 Apr 2004

Right then - I now include all manufacturers, but I can't see a 250GB Seagate; as byfordr says there doesn't seem to be a Seagate bigger than 160GB, at least that is listed there.

Gaz W 12:13 15 Apr 2004

Sorry about the double post there - I intended starting a new paragraph but hitting Enter posted it - I must've knocked the Tab key!

What I was going to say is now unimportant anyway because I've just found a 250GB Seagate, but they come at a price. On the first site I found (click here) you are looking at £184.99 inc. VAT for the Seagate compared to the £149.21 price of the Maxtor (and £150.34 Western Digital) at Micro Direct (click here)

Gaz W 12:18 15 Apr 2004

Don't most of them have a 2 (or maybe 3) year warranty with the manufacturer anyway? My old hard drive (actually a Maxtor!) has one and it's still under warranty so it's getting replaced.

I'm only buying a new one because I need to transfer my data to something before sending it off, and also it's an ideal opportunity to upgrade to something bigger and faster (my old one was IDE).

byfordr 12:20 15 Apr 2004

No some come with 1 year warranties, so its worth checking/shopping around.

R

Gaz W 12:48 15 Apr 2004

Realistically I don't think I'll be able to get a Seagate one since wherever they are sold they are expensive. I've decided that Maxtor are too noisy so that leaves Western Digtal - I might as well give it a try.

The one I have is a Maxtor and it's failed, although I have 2 other Maxtor drives (one is a 10.2GB one that's 4 or 5 years old) - so it looks like the Western Digital Caviar.

Thanks everyone who posted for your help,

Gaz

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP Envy x2 review: Hands-on

Iconic New York graphic designer Milton Glaser on his uplifting new subway posters

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment suivre le parcours du père Noël ?