Master Boot Record (MBR)

shers_support 08:45 02 Mar 2004

I seriously need some advice here.

I ordered a new copy of Windows XP Professional and the stupid vendor sent me an upgrade version but mistake. Without me realising I tried doing a full installation by booting from the CD. This all looked fine until Setup had finished copying the installation files to the hard drive and re-booted itself. When it rebooted it started setup again as if it had not been ran before. I tried rebooting the PC with no disk in the drive to force it to use the files it had just copied to the hard drive but I just got the message "Hard disk boot sector invalid".

I tried deleting all partitions and reformatting and even tried reinstalling my previous OS and another OS disk I had but nothing will work. It appears that when I tried installing the XP Pro Upgrade as a full installation it must have corrupted the MBR.

The problem is that I cannot claim anything off the vendor as I cannot prove the disk they sent me caused it and my laptop is out of warranty. I have tried recreating the MBR by typing FDISK /MBR on the command prompt but it comes back saying something like No MBR code has been saved.

I understand you can get a new hard drive for laptops but I've absolutely no idea what physical size mine is (not data capacity) and I've no idea on how to get into the laptop as the screws are tiny and theres about a million of them.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Taran 10:07 02 Mar 2004

Boot from the XP CD and go into Recovery mode:

1. Press any key to boot from CD

2. Let the setup start from CD

3. Wait for all the "Setup is loading files..." messages to scroll along the bottom of the screen

4. At the series of options under Weolcome to Setup, select the second option "To repair a Windows XP installation..." by prssing the letter R key

5. When it says "Which Windows installation would you like to log onto" select the number that corresponds to your system - normally you type number 1 for C: drive, but any variations will be listed above the option to select. Type in the number for your drive/pratition then press Enter

6. Type in the Aministrator password to access the drive then press Enter. If setup did not or has not completed then you may be able to just press the Enter key since there may not be an admin password.

7. type this command:

fixmbr

then press Enter

You should get a prompt about are you sure and then a message saying it succeeded.

Restart the system by typing Exit.

FDISK/mbr is not a supported option in the Windows XP recovery console. The fixmbr command overwrites the old MBR with a clean Master Boot Record.

If the worst comes to the worst and it still does not complete the setup you may have to use your laptop revovery disks and then run the upgrade again.

I'll assume that your data files were thoroughly backed up prior to running the upgrade ?

Taran 10:07 02 Mar 2004

Boot from the XP CD and go into Recovery mode:

1. Press any key to boot from CD

2. Let the setup start from CD

3. Wait for all the "Setup is loading files..." messages to scroll along the bottom of the screen

4. At the series of options under Weolcome to Setup, select the second option "To repair a Windows XP installation..." by prssing the letter R key

5. When it says "Which Windows installation would you like to log onto" select the number that corresponds to your system - normally you type number 1 for C: drive, but any variations will be listed above the option to select. Type in the number for your drive/pratition then press Enter

6. Type in the Aministrator password to access the drive then press Enter. If setup did not or has not completed then you may be able to just press the Enter key since there may not be an admin password.

7. type this command:

fixmbr

then press Enter

You should get a prompt about are you sure and then a message saying it succeeded.

Restart the system by typing Exit.

FDISK/mbr is not a supported option in the Windows XP recovery console. The fixmbr command overwrites the old MBR with a clean Master Boot Record.

If the worst comes to the worst and it still does not complete the setup you may have to use your laptop revovery disks and then run the upgrade again.

I'll assume that your data files were thoroughly backed up prior to running the upgrade ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?