managment games causing hard disk failure

Backmarker2 16:03 29 Jul 2003

I am about to replace my hd for the 2nd time in a 2 year old system. It was mentioned to me that games such as the football manager ones my son plays for hours on end can cause problems with hard disks. Has anyone else found this to be true and would it be a good idea to fit a 2nd hard drive for him to use for his games?

I. T. Mastermind 16:23 29 Jul 2003

This is clearly a myth because I have played football manager games for years and it has had no effect on my PC whatsoever. However I would recomend that you format and re-install your computer at least ever 6 - 12 months. Because re-installing a computer makes it alot more stable, alot faster and alot easier and better to use.

DieSse 16:47 29 Jul 2003

"It was mentioned to me that games such as the football manager ones my son plays for hours on end can cause problems with hard disks"

It cannot cause a hardware failure - absolutely impossible.

Just so long as you know for sure it is a failure, and not a software or corruption issue.

Bris 21:56 29 Jul 2003

The HDDs installed in home PCs are no different from those installed in servers and other high usage machines which are in use 24/7. The life of an HDD is measured in mean time between failures (these can be obtained from the manufacturers) and amounts to many years even at very high usages. There would seem to be a problem with your PC thats causing the HDD to be failing prematurely. The only thing that comes to mind is overheating, if its not a motherboard issue, make sure that there is plenty of airflow over and around the PC particularly the HDD. If your BIOS allows it try setting on SMART this will monitor the status of your HDD and warn you of any pending problems.

Backmarker2 13:37 31 Jul 2003

Thanks for the info - think I've perhaps been unlucky - hope its ok this time!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Comment nettoyer Windows et optimiser son PC gratuitement ?