Malwarebytes and PC Cleaner free versions

bpzoom 10:31 19 Apr 2018

A general question which can also be applied to PC Cleaner. I have always used the free versions. My impression, judging by the speed with which Malwarebytes finishes its scan, invariably with zero items found, that it is a waste of time. This appears to have happened in recent times, and maybe they are trying to attract people into the paid for versions. A similar thing can be said for PC Cleaner. Does anyone believe there is much point bothering with the free versions anymore?

wee eddie 11:26 19 Apr 2018

I don't know about PC Cleaner, although I have read an item in the press suggesting that it carries problems with it, but the fact that Malwarebytes shows "No Problems" should reassure that you have not accidentally downloaded any malware

Govan1x 12:23 19 Apr 2018

Malwarebytes premium would probably pick up the odd one that the free version doesn't.

But then again run ADW Cleaner { malwarebytes same company]will pick up the odd ones that the premium version doesn't.

You can still pick up the lifetime licence for the premium version, so it has to be worth digging into the wallet.

C Cleaner still downloads crapware so you have to be careful not to install that.

wee eddie 14:24 19 Apr 2018

It seems that not all of us get crapware from CCleaner. Not yet anyway

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:45 19 Apr 2018

CCleaner does not remove virus and malware its just a cleaner of temporary files.

Never had crapware from CCleaner in any of its updates.

It is interesting that Malwarebytes finds nothing but its sister program Adwcleaner may find something.

Govan1x 18:07 19 Apr 2018

Never had crapware from CCleaner in any of its updates.

No you usually get it when you are installing it. maybe they have stopped doing it now but I doubt it.

Just had a look no cheap versions of malwarebytes premium lifetime licence about. Thats unusual. about

And yes I have the premium version of malwarebytes which found nothing but ran adw cleaner and it found a problem which I removed. Always better having a 2nd opinion now and again.

Govan1x 07:30 20 Apr 2018

Malwarebytes update this morning to version 3.4.5

davecartman 08:29 20 Apr 2018

I would have thought if they were trying to get you to buy the paid for version the free version would find lots of items which have supposedly got through. I have the paid for version and it also finds nothing. As wee eddie says maybe this should be reassuring.

Govan1x 09:02 20 Apr 2018

davecartman

It usually protects you from bad sites when browsing. It is a no brainer to have it as long as you have the lifetime Licence and not one that you have to renew every year.

Govan1x 09:09 20 Apr 2018

Found this one on ebay .

Click Here

rdave13 09:40 20 Apr 2018

Govan1x nice find. IMHO well worth it.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

HTC U12 Plus review: Hands-on

Best Android emulators for Mac

TV & Streaming : comment regarder Roland Garros ?