Malware - how is it getting onto my PC ?

X-Box 10:47 22 Jun 2004

Everytime I finish using my PC these days I run Adaware & Spybot after each session. These programs invariably find several diallers etc which have got onto my machine & have to be removed.

I am not downloading any files so how are these damn things getting through Zonealarm just while surfing ?

Isn't the idea of a firewall to stop this ?

Charlie Brown 10:54 22 Jun 2004

I just came on line to ask help for the same problem, I am also running adware and spybot scans all the time, sometimes even 2 or 3 times when I'm on the computer and it's still catching diallers everytime. I need help and advice on this too.

VoG II 10:59 22 Jun 2004

Get Spywareblaster click here

mammak 11:01 22 Jun 2004

Hi X-Box,Charlie Brown try Spyware blaster
click here
it stops them getting in in the first place.
Regards Mammak.

mammak 11:02 22 Jun 2004

Lol VoG™ you beat me to it.

FERRY 11:17 22 Jun 2004

GO TO SYMANTEC SECURITY CHECK BEFORE YOU PAY FOR ANYMORE PROGRAMS LET THE SECURITY CHECK RUN IT WILL GIVE YOU A LIST OF KNOWN ERRORS MOST OFTEN ITS ALL DOWN TO CALIBRATION OF ANY FIREWALL OR INTERNET EXPLORER SETTINGS ITS POSSIBLE YOU HAVE A PROGRAM RUNNING IN THE BACK GROUND THAT YOU DONT KNOW ABOUT. DLL AND DIALERS ARE DETECTED AND DOWN LOADED JUST BY BROWSING POP UP ADVERTS CAN STEALTH ON YOUR MACHINE TO BLOCK ALL KILLS GOOD PAGES BUT BLOCKING AND REMOVING BACK RUNNING SPYWARE IS WHAT YOU NEED TO DO AFTER YOU HAVE FULLY CALIBRATED YOUR MACHINE ALWAYS DO THIS OFF LINE. STOPS THEM UPDATING.

Kernow999 11:17 22 Jun 2004

I was just browsing through reading peoples advice. Now installed the above, too!
Many thanks for the good advice.

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:32 22 Jun 2004

Anti virus and firewall programmes will not stop spyware/adware. Generally they are not really a problem and a quick clean of temporary files and running Adaware will sort them out. Rarely anything to worry over.

G

spuds 11:45 22 Jun 2004

You could try Spy Sweeper click here as an alternative.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?