Mains Electrical Power Adapters 13 amp

Guest 1234512644 11:10 23 Mar 2018

Because for a while we got "free" electricity on Sundays we used a two way 13amp adaptor on a single socket outlet to run washer and drier. This resulted in the adapter heating up when both machines were running. I've now connected the drier to a different 13amp socket outlet above the counter but this looks like a "lash up". So my question is where can I find a two way adaptor that will comfortably take the load? Or do I have to have a double socket outlet fitted?

Forum Editor 11:17 23 Mar 2018

"Or do I have to have a double socket outlet fitted?"

That's by far the best option. Washers and driers pull a heavy load, and replacing a single socket with a double isn't so difficult.

Pine Man 15:48 23 Mar 2018

replacing a single socket with a double isn't so difficult.

...but arguably falls within the remit of Part P of the building regs if it is in a kitchen.

mrcalif 16:29 23 Mar 2018

but arguably falls within the remit of Part P of the building regs if it is in a kitchen.

I thought that was only required if you change or add a new circuit?

[DELETED] 17:58 23 Mar 2018

You can get a single to double socket converter, anyone can change it, it doesn't fall under part P.

bumpkin 21:04 23 Mar 2018

If anything gets hot then something is wrong. Get a double socket fitted by an elec trician. As said it is an easy job.

Guest 1234512644 17:51 24 Mar 2018

I like the look of that Scneider single to double converter. Thanks to all for your advice.

bumpkin 22:13 24 Mar 2018

Just a different shaped adaptor from what I can see. Try it by all means but if it also gets hot you will need an electrician. Or the fire brigade.

Guest 1234512644 07:34 25 Mar 2018

Thanks bumpkin I'll take that on board.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:14 25 Mar 2018

Not an adaptor as such as you need to disconnect the old socket and wire the Schnieder.

Becareful that you shut off the power at the Fuse board before attempting Mains electricity can kill. If in doubt get a qualified elctrician.

bumpkin 17:32 25 Mar 2018

Not an adaptor as such as you need to disconnect the old socket and wire the Schnieder.

In which case you may as well use a normal double socket.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

The humble pint glass is redesigned from bottoms up by design legend Sir Kenneth Grange

The best Amazon Prime Day Apple deals 2018

Les meilleures coques pour iPhone X (2018)