Mailer-daemon and other spam (VIRUS? FACEBOOK?)

Phil Ocifer 20:39 16 Nov 2015
Answered

Hi all - advice required please.

I'm receiving a lot of undelivered emails as a result of some kind of virus I have picked up. (I think it might be from some link I clicked on Facebook but not totally sure).

I'll tell you now, I've got an Android smartphone on Lollipop 5.1.1 and a laptop running Windows 8.1 and I'm not sure where it all started. There are occasions where Google won't search on a term on the lappy, and the mobile appears to be totally unaffected.

I've worked it out that these undeliverables must be from lapsed email addresses in the To: CC: and BCC: fields in my emails. As such, I don't know what has been sent to and received at valid email addresses this virus has found.

My email account is TalkTalk and I only login to webmail - I don't have Outlook or other email client on Windows. Therefore I assume it's searched my online emails and spammed every address it has found. Does this sound feasible?

If so I've been 'done' on (probably) 3 occasions, all within the last 3 months. The first attack in mid-august resulted in 60+ undeliverables, the most recent attacks at end November and today were about 6 each time.

Does anybody have any idea how I can cleanse my systems? I've always had Windows Defender up to date and always active on the laptop, and I've downloaded and scanned the laptop with Malwarebytes Anti-malware and Sophos Virus Removal Tool (plus another big name freebie) plus regularly clean up with CCleaner, and I've got Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mobile version running on the Android.

The fallout doesn't appear to be too serious apart from a few "outraged" friends who have blocked my email due to excessive spam, but it's something I'd like to put a stop to, if possible, and something I'd like to avoid in the future, so please fire away with a cavalcade of useful suggestions.

thanks in advance. Phil

bumpkin 20:54 16 Nov 2015

Google ADW and try that for starters.

Phil Ocifer 21:08 16 Nov 2015

Hi Bumpkin. Just used ADWCleaner and it's found 2 registry entries relating to ASK.com and something else undecipherable (in Chrome which I don't use much). Undecipherable because the fields displayed are too small.

Nothing else looks to be any help (Architectural Doors & Windows Ltd, animal diversity web, assault with a deadly weapon etc) so I wondered if ADW was what you meant as there's only one result (through bleeping computer) which seems a little suss. Thanks anyway, I tried it.

Next please :)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:22 16 Nov 2015

Defender is useless use something like AVast on both your PC and phone

Phil Ocifer 21:24 16 Nov 2015

Is that proven Fruitbat, hearsay or just a personal opinion?

bumpkin 21:34 16 Nov 2015

) so I wondered if ADW was what you meant as there's only one result (through bleeping computer) which seems a little suss

Well I can see about a dozen sources, Bleeping Computers I have never had a problem with.

bumpkin 21:39 16 Nov 2015

adwcleaner may have been a better search entry.

Phil Ocifer 22:16 16 Nov 2015

Adwcleaner better, yes thanks bumpkin. A lot more results and positive reviews :)

Having trouble finding it on Play but I will persist, thx Phil

wee eddie 22:24 16 Nov 2015

Don't worry about Mailer Daemon, that is the Internet Service that tells you that the address your mail is addressed to, is no longer functioning

lotvic 23:47 16 Nov 2015

My email account is TalkTalk and I only login to webmail - I don't have Outlook or other email client on Windows. Therefore I assume it's searched my online emails and spammed every address it has found. Does this sound feasible?

Yes, it sounds as if that is exactly what has happened.

lotvic 00:02 17 Nov 2015

Perhaps I'm being a little short-sighted, I should have said it could be one of the other recipients of the emails that has had their address book/emails harvested and yours is just one of the email addresses on the list that is being used either by an email worm virus on a pc (unlikely yours as you only use webmail), or by a spammer working from a purchased/obtained list of addresses.

Also as you're with Talktalk, yours might be one of the hacked accounts, more info: click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Pokémon Let's Go, Pikachu! and Eevee! review

Best Black Friday deals for designers and artists 2018

How to use Siri Shortcuts

Les meilleurs SSD