Mailer-daemon and other spam (VIRUS? FACEBOOK?)

Phil Ocifer 20:39 16 Nov 2015
Answered

Hi all - advice required please.

I'm receiving a lot of undelivered emails as a result of some kind of virus I have picked up. (I think it might be from some link I clicked on Facebook but not totally sure).

I'll tell you now, I've got an Android smartphone on Lollipop 5.1.1 and a laptop running Windows 8.1 and I'm not sure where it all started. There are occasions where Google won't search on a term on the lappy, and the mobile appears to be totally unaffected.

I've worked it out that these undeliverables must be from lapsed email addresses in the To: CC: and BCC: fields in my emails. As such, I don't know what has been sent to and received at valid email addresses this virus has found.

My email account is TalkTalk and I only login to webmail - I don't have Outlook or other email client on Windows. Therefore I assume it's searched my online emails and spammed every address it has found. Does this sound feasible?

If so I've been 'done' on (probably) 3 occasions, all within the last 3 months. The first attack in mid-august resulted in 60+ undeliverables, the most recent attacks at end November and today were about 6 each time.

Does anybody have any idea how I can cleanse my systems? I've always had Windows Defender up to date and always active on the laptop, and I've downloaded and scanned the laptop with Malwarebytes Anti-malware and Sophos Virus Removal Tool (plus another big name freebie) plus regularly clean up with CCleaner, and I've got Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mobile version running on the Android.

The fallout doesn't appear to be too serious apart from a few "outraged" friends who have blocked my email due to excessive spam, but it's something I'd like to put a stop to, if possible, and something I'd like to avoid in the future, so please fire away with a cavalcade of useful suggestions.

thanks in advance. Phil

bumpkin 20:54 16 Nov 2015

Google ADW and try that for starters.

Phil Ocifer 21:08 16 Nov 2015

Hi Bumpkin. Just used ADWCleaner and it's found 2 registry entries relating to ASK.com and something else undecipherable (in Chrome which I don't use much). Undecipherable because the fields displayed are too small.

Nothing else looks to be any help (Architectural Doors & Windows Ltd, animal diversity web, assault with a deadly weapon etc) so I wondered if ADW was what you meant as there's only one result (through bleeping computer) which seems a little suss. Thanks anyway, I tried it.

Next please :)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:22 16 Nov 2015

Defender is useless use something like AVast on both your PC and phone

Phil Ocifer 21:24 16 Nov 2015

Is that proven Fruitbat, hearsay or just a personal opinion?

bumpkin 21:34 16 Nov 2015

) so I wondered if ADW was what you meant as there's only one result (through bleeping computer) which seems a little suss

Well I can see about a dozen sources, Bleeping Computers I have never had a problem with.

bumpkin 21:39 16 Nov 2015

adwcleaner may have been a better search entry.

Phil Ocifer 22:16 16 Nov 2015

Adwcleaner better, yes thanks bumpkin. A lot more results and positive reviews :)

Having trouble finding it on Play but I will persist, thx Phil

wee eddie 22:24 16 Nov 2015

Don't worry about Mailer Daemon, that is the Internet Service that tells you that the address your mail is addressed to, is no longer functioning

lotvic 23:47 16 Nov 2015

My email account is TalkTalk and I only login to webmail - I don't have Outlook or other email client on Windows. Therefore I assume it's searched my online emails and spammed every address it has found. Does this sound feasible?

Yes, it sounds as if that is exactly what has happened.

lotvic 00:02 17 Nov 2015

Perhaps I'm being a little short-sighted, I should have said it could be one of the other recipients of the emails that has had their address book/emails harvested and yours is just one of the email addresses on the list that is being used either by an email worm virus on a pc (unlikely yours as you only use webmail), or by a spammer working from a purchased/obtained list of addresses.

Also as you're with Talktalk, yours might be one of the hacked accounts, more info: click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Elephone U2 Review

Ichijo Hikaru's riso print pop art is a celebration of the female body

New iPhone 11 (2019) release date, price & specs rumours

Les bons plans audio (2019)