mail notification sound in windows live

charlieh34 14:38 03 Aug 2009

Hi all my windows live mail has stopped making a mail notification sound when new mail arrives can anybody help with a fix
thanks all
charlieh

Sea Urchin 14:43 03 Aug 2009

Control Panel/Sounds and Audio Devices/Sounds tab - scroll down to New Mail Notification and highlight it. Browse for the sound you want and click Apply and OK.

charlieh34 14:46 03 Aug 2009

Ah I should have said I already done this and the sound plays ok when chosen in sounds tab but when a mail arrives it makes no sound ./All my audio devices are working fine
thanks

Sea Urchin 14:59 03 Aug 2009

You can try checking the configuration of the sound via the registry:

1. Go to Start - type regedit and OK

2. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\.Default\MailBeep\. current

3. Highlight 'current' and in right-hand pane Double-click (Default), and set its value to the WAV file to play

4. Click OK

5. Close regedit

Always back up registry before making any changes.

charlieh34 15:05 03 Aug 2009

thanks tryd that still not working though

Sea Urchin 15:17 03 Aug 2009

Go back to the Edit String window - is the .wav file shown just as xxxxx.wav - if so try changing it to the entire path:

C:\WINDOWS\Media\xxxxx.wav

charlieh34 15:23 03 Aug 2009

okay tried that but still no sound it original said %SystemRoot%\media\Windows XP Notify.wav

Sea Urchin 15:25 03 Aug 2009

Or back to basics - in WLM Tools/Options/General tab - Play Sound When New Messages Arrive should be ticked.

If it is already then untick and Apply - then go back and tick and Apply and OK.

charlieh34 15:28 03 Aug 2009

Yea ok have done that still no joy im afraid

Sea Urchin 15:31 03 Aug 2009

I'm not sure about that %systemroot%

Try going back to the Control Panel and Sounds tab and select a different sound for New Mail - if that works you can then go back to your original sound.

charlieh34 15:50 03 Aug 2009

okay I tryed a different sound but still not working

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Creative studio Omnibus' brand identity for We Said Enough fights back against sexual misconduct

WWDC history: Apple's product launches since 2005

Espace de stockage : comment libérer de la mémoire sur votre iPhone ?