A mail folder got deleted - can spyware do that?

beckstrous 09:42 19 Sep 2006

Hi there,

I hope someone can help me. I have searched this forum (and the internet) but I cannot find an answer. I

share a computer with my boyfriend and we each have an email archive in Outlook. I have an up-to-date

version of the free copy of Grisoft AVG and I scanned the system last night to find no viruses.

Last night his email archive wasn't there. When I was last on the computer on Sunday it was and I have

no idea where it's gone or how it got deleted. There is a slim possibility one of us deleted it by

accident of course, but that's very unlikely. He gets a lot of spam and I was wondering if there was

anything out there that wasn't a virus but that could do something like that i.e. delete an email

folder?

I noticed a strange error on the PC last night to do with a .exe that I have never heard of. I really

should have written it down but because I was scanning the PC With AVG and also with Spybot S&D (which

also turned up nothing apart from a couple of cookies) I just clicked OK and it disappeared.

Could anyone point me in the right direction as to what happened?

Thanks

Beck

johnnyrocker 09:45 19 Sep 2006

if xp first try system restore, which may resolve.

johnny.

beckstrous 10:07 19 Sep 2006

Thanks. Is that easy to do?

I'm fairly PC savvy but I've never done a system restore before.

I'm becoming a bit paranoid in case there's a keylogger or something but as I said, I've got AVG and it's bang up-to-date.

johnnyrocker 10:34 19 Sep 2006

start/programs/accessories/system tools/system restore, when run choose a date prior to incident and follow the prompts.

johnny.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Best Keyboards for Designers & Artists

What to ask Siri on the HomePod

Meilleurs VPN (2018)