Macrium some basic advice please

bumpkin 16:47 17 Oct 2015

I have used it for a long time and found it very good but I have only used it for cloning not imaging. If I use their boot disk it requires me to give an image location which I can't do.

I now want to use an image as that sounds much the same thing but with a bit of compression. When I have selected the source drive it says Destination "Folder" can someone explain what to do please.

bumpkin 17:31 17 Oct 2015

Thanks so presumably i can put any name into the folder option but whatever i put in it say syntax invalid.

bumpkin 17:37 17 Oct 2015

I don't want to backup the whole drive just the partition named "C" which has the O/S on it and some programs.

john bunyan 18:16 17 Oct 2015

Macrium can do an image of the C drive. Choose the option that says "Back up partition that contains windows" or similar wording

john bunyan 19:48 17 Oct 2015

I have created bootable media for macrium on a laptop w10, and , for the data partition , use Freefilesynch regularly. I though that, should the hard drive die, I could use this to import the image to a new HD? On my desktop, still on W 7, I use ATI do make both images and clones on separate drives. Is that OK?

bumpkin 19:54 17 Oct 2015

Thanks for your advice, this is my secondary computer just used mainly for my cctv cameras. Worked fine for years but endless hassle with it over the last 2 weeks. Now the graphics wont work so I cant do anything. It is off to the big computer graveyard in the sky or should it be cloud, I will take it to the local tip for re-cycling where the dedicated staff will sling it in with the landfill rubbish.

john bunyan 10:01 18 Oct 2015

rdave13

(With apologies to bumpkin for the intrusion).

Freefilesynch is like Synch Toy - it just copies data, but with the advantage of speed because it only updates changes after the first synch. I use it almost daily so my data partition is identically copied to another drive. It does not deal with system programmes, for which I use ATI on one PC with W7 and Macrium on another. I thought the macrium images I make deal only with the C Partition - . In the case of a clone, I fully realise the whole drive is "copied". I do, occasionally make a clone stored on yet another drive.

bumpkin 16:02 18 Oct 2015

Well it fired up this morning and will run for a couple of hours then shut down. I dont know how hot a graphics card should get but I cant touch for more than a few seconds.

Diversified a bit there, back to my earlier point, what do I type using Macrium imaging when it asks for a folder to be entere4d in a box.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:57 18 Oct 2015

Easiest way is to create a folder on the backup drive then browse to it when in Macrium.

bumpkin 17:24 18 Oct 2015

thanks FB, that makes sense.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:11 18 Oct 2015

rdave already suggested this on first page :0)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPad Air (2019) review

Moleskine launches limited edition Lord of the Rings notebook collection

iMac 21.5in (2019) review

Comment faire pivoter une vidéo ?