Macrium some basic advice please

bumpkin 16:47 17 Oct 2015

I have used it for a long time and found it very good but I have only used it for cloning not imaging. If I use their boot disk it requires me to give an image location which I can't do.

I now want to use an image as that sounds much the same thing but with a bit of compression. When I have selected the source drive it says Destination "Folder" can someone explain what to do please.

rdave13 17:05 17 Oct 2015

You need to create a new folder on the external drive. I usually name mine Paragon Win 10 171015, as I use Paragon. I usually name the PC as well, as I use Paragon on three laptops. That will be the destination folder you browse to and easily identifiable. That's it.

rdave13 17:10 17 Oct 2015

I should have added that if I don't create a destination folder first Paragon will create one on the C drive which defeats the object really. I don't know if Macrium does the same.

bumpkin 17:31 17 Oct 2015

Thanks so presumably i can put any name into the folder option but whatever i put in it say syntax invalid.

rdave13 17:36 17 Oct 2015

syntax invalid means you're using an invalid character, hence the date I use is 171015 not 17/10/15. It's to do with the recovery disc/usb recognising the image to restore to.

bumpkin 17:37 17 Oct 2015

I don't want to backup the whole drive just the partition named "C" which has the O/S on it and some programs.

rdave13 17:43 17 Oct 2015

Imaging is like cloning. You either clone or image the drive. As for imaging only the C: partition then I don't know if Macrium will do it. Imaging a partition can create problems from Win Vista onwards as you can have multiple small partitions (sometimes hidden) needed to get Windows to boot.

rdave13 17:56 17 Oct 2015

My system shows this;

. Note that the HP recovery partition has been deleted. SSD is GPT not MBR.

john bunyan 18:16 17 Oct 2015

Macrium can do an image of the C drive. Choose the option that says "Back up partition that contains windows" or similar wording

rdave13 18:22 17 Oct 2015

That's all well and good JB but if your drive dies you're basically stuffed. Restoring C: drive partition only on a new Hard drive will result in 'unable to find a bootable disc' or words to that effect. This is from Win 7 onwards I believe.

rdave13 18:26 17 Oct 2015

Remember that you can have a hybrid BIOS/UEFI since over 3 years ago and simply imaging the C: drive will not supply the boot info for Windows.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Officially Launches In The UK

Artists FriendsWithYou reimagine Snoopy and Charlie Brown for a Peanuts London takeover

iPad Pro 12.9in (2018) review

Les meilleurs smartphones chinois disponibles en France