Macrium Reflect question for dead pc

john bunyan 07:05 16 Jun 2018

I bought a Dell XPS 13 in April that has died - motherboard failure - and is being replaced by Dell. I cannot remove or get access to the 500gig SSD that has , in particular, a lifetime Malawarebytes Premium license and Photoshop CS5. I do have a Macrium image from a couple of weeks ago, and a recovery usb stick. The new PC will be identical. Is there a way to use Macrium to save reinstalling these programmes? If not how to deal with the lifetime licence etc as I can’t de register the dead PC although Dell will securely wipe the SSD. Very annoying as it took a week or so to set up with iTunes, wireless printing, Photoshop etc etc No worries on data as that is backed up and I use imap on email and have a desktop. Any suggestions gratefully received. New pc will be about 2 weeks or so.

john bunyan 07:37 16 Jun 2018

Re MBAM. Rdave13 has answered on my other thread - thanks. However the question on Macrium remains.

john bunyan 07:41 16 Jun 2018

PS Not sure if this is complicated by Dell’s use of bitlocker on their HD

rdave13 10:40 16 Jun 2018

Take a look at this ,it opens as PDF to print, but just cancel to read the notes.

Whatever you decide to do I would certainly create an image of the new machine before trying to restore your old image on the new machine. A bit of reading to do I think.

wee eddie 10:56 16 Jun 2018

rdave13 10:58 16 Jun 2018

On the other hand if Dell can confirm the new laptop is identical, motherboard etc., then I would be tempted to try and restore your old image as is but only after installing Macrium on the new laptop and creating an image of that first, as a backup, if anything goes belly up. You could then restore the image in Windows using Macrium.

rdave13 11:00 16 Jun 2018

I should clarify the last sentence "You could then restore the old image within Windows using Macrium".

john bunyan 11:35 16 Jun 2018

rdave13

john bunyan 20:48 17 Jun 2018

Still awaiting new PC . Will try rdave13 suggestions; if I can get MBAM Premium to work and Photoshop by persuading them to allow a transfer without deregistrating , a clean install may be better if longer do do - eg it comes with built in Office Outlook 2016 Home and Business . I can reload iTunes etc. The whole thing is a wretched nuisance!

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Book 2: Release date, price and specs

This First Man soundtrack vinyl cover art is exquisitely composed

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Meilleurs VPN (2018)