Mac v Windows laptops: what would you recommend?

Pebblett 17:50 21 Jan 2018

Hi. ….. I don’t know who to ask so you can pass me on if you need to!

You’ll know the answers to the questions I have - I have a 27” mid-2011 iMac.

If I were to buy a laptop, here are the questions I don’t know the answers to - and there are probably questions you’ll know I should ask ……. !!

1 We use Word, Excel, PPoint, Photos, Mail, and quite happy with the iMac. (It’s slow; but that’s another issue). 2 I would like the laptop to work with the iMac - sharing files / USBs / etc rather than not compatible. Also Photos is Mac, and we photo-edit a fair bit. 3 I need plenty of storage, and plenty of RAM for speed………but I don’t use it for gaming / downloading or streaming movies (the odd YouTube) 4 A HP ProBook I use occasionally is ok, but battery life is appalling 5 The more USB / other ports the better

Budget-wise I don’t know what to say - if I limit myself to a cheap laptop and it’s useless, that’s no good. On the other hand, I do know some Macs are very expensive. So if I knew what would work for the above requirements, I’ll then see if I can work round that.

Thanks a mmillion Ann

Forum Editor 08:27 22 Jan 2018

You appear to be answering your own question - you are used to working with a Mac, so why not stay with that platform? Macs are not cheap, but perhaps that isn't the most important factor here.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?