Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review
Can start in safe mode. Normal start goes fine until colour screen, (before icons appear), illegal operation messages start to appear, one after another, ok each, windows music is heard, no icons or start buttons appear, screen is blank, can anyone help me please?
Press <F8> as windows is loading and then try to install the last version that installed correctly. Otherwise, it sounds like you'll need to repair XP before you go any further. You may find that the install CD will do this successfully, but I would strongly advise that you enter Safe Mode and backup all your data files in case anything goes even worse.
Option 1: Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.
sfc /scannow problems
Option 2 : Repair XP by install over the top of existing systm
1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.
2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:
To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.
To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.
To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.
DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).
4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.
6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.
Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.
Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.
This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.