lost sounds

ameba 15:48 04 Nov 2003

Win ME

I searched the database before coming on here and no results came up for what I was looking for.
Anyway, I was installing the software for a new digi camera i got and the thing went haywire during the process. I uninstalled it from pc as error message said the software disc may be corrupt but it removed windows programmes as well. I reinstalled all but my sounds have gone. ( the speakers are on) My modem connection went wonky as well and that took a wee bit of juggling to fix that.
I have all the drives that came with pc but I did re install everything. I am getting pictures on media player and so on but no sound.
PLEASE HELP!

Gongoozler 16:00 04 Nov 2003

ameba, if you are getting no sounds at all, have you checked in Device Manager to see if you have any problems with your sound drivers?

ameba 16:26 04 Nov 2003

There is little yellow question marks next to my motorolo modem " PCI ethernet controller" and " PCI multi media device". but I'm connected so i will leave that alone for now.
I have been told to put in the disc that came with the motherboard. this may get sound back? ASUS A7V8X-X

Gongoozler 16:42 04 Nov 2003

Hi ameba. The question marks suggest to me that there is a problem with the LAN controller and the sound. If you are using the onboard sound, then I suggest that you remove the sound in Device Manager and then reinstall it from the disk. If you have a PCI sound card, disable the onboard sound in BIOS. If you are not using the LAN port, then I suggest disabling that in BIOS as well. In my experience, the modem usually shows in Device Manager under that heading, but it may be different in ME.

ameba 16:53 04 Nov 2003

It simple when you know how? LOL. I just needed to add the sound drive from the motherboard disc.
I noticed there was a modem set up file in the disc but I was afraid to install it incase things went funny again with the pc.
this was a new motherbard I got for the pc. do you think I should install the modem drive from the motherboard disc? The modem was connected to port 1 b-4 the problems but wouldn't let me connect to port 1 after the probs. I'm using port 3 now.
or should I best leave it for now till a friend can look at it?

ameba 17:20 04 Nov 2003

I guess it is resolved for the time being. Thanks again but I will look into the modem later.
I guess LAN means telephone line connection? I did delete them and reinstalled. Anyway, I got it working somehow???????

Gongoozler 20:20 04 Nov 2003

ameba, LAN is for Local Area Network, that would be a network of interconnected computers typically in the same building. Your motherboard probably doesn't have an onboard dial-up modem, in which case you won't want the modem driver on the motherboard disc.

ameba 11:29 05 Nov 2003

i read up on LAN so I realised not to use the motherboard one but out of curiosity...I did it anyway. The little question marks went away when I reinstalled the sounds from the motherboard disc/drive
The VIA in the PCI bus thing which I believe is the digi camera,it has a green background question mark now.Before it was a yellow "!"
The camera works but windows will not recognise it as a valid win 32 application. And some of it's files won't install.
I will remove it from the system alltogether and contact the helpline for the digi cam and ask them to send a new disc? Apart from that all is now well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

3D illustrator Billelis on how to promote yourself on social media

iMac Pro review

Apple Music : comment obtenir 3 mois gratuits ?