Lost partition

misog 10:39 19 Jun 2006

After using some hard drive cleaning software it has removed the partitions on the hard drive. How do I restore them.
Its a old Windows ME PC which boots from a recovery floppy which appears to have DOS on it but I only get error messages in response to the prompt.
I have downloaded boot software but I can only put it on CD and the pc wont boot from that.
I will be giving the pc away but would like to get it going first. Advice please.

Belatucadrus 10:49 19 Jun 2006

"some hard drive cleaning software"

Could you be a bit more specific, it's hard to see how a disk cleaner would delete a partition, unless you've erased the entire hard drive. Tell us what did it and maybe somebody will have some idea what to do next.

johnny2344 10:56 19 Jun 2006

ahh nice

misog 11:41 19 Jun 2006

The software is called "Dariks Boot and Nuke".

The problem is that I get the A prompt when in DOS but if I try Fdisk or any command all I get is "Bad command or file name"

Belatucadrus 14:50 19 Jun 2006

You'll need to format the drive :-
"Restart the computer with the floppy in the A: drive. At the A: prompt, type Format: C. Answer "yes" to the warning"
click here &
click here may be useful.

woodchip 14:53 19 Jun 2006

Testdisk click here

woodchip 14:54 19 Jun 2006

PS I have used this so I know it works

Belatucadrus 14:56 19 Jun 2006

click here The ME version of Ultimate boot disk may also be of use.

Belatucadrus 15:03 19 Jun 2006

Testdisk looks interesting, but I doubt it's recover something that's been nuked. I suppose it could depend on the number of overwrites used.

Best of luck.

woodchip 15:26 19 Jun 2006

Yes it does

misog 16:35 19 Jun 2006

But whatever software I use it still has to be on floppy as I cant get it to boot from CD.I was going to give the pc away but now I think I will just bin it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iMac Pro review

Illustrator Charles Williams on how to create magazines and book covers

iMac Pro review

Les meilleures prises CPL (2018)