Lost Internet on my Acer Aspire

morddwyd 07:38 02 Mar 2018
Answered

Out of the blue I've lost internet connection on my Acer Aspire running Win 10.

Tried all the usual things to no avail.

Troubleshooter gives the error message "Wi fi does not have a valid IP configuration".

No problem with other devices (Win 10,Android, iOs).

Any ideas?

rdave13 10:15 02 Mar 2018

Not sure what you tried but the first one I'd go for is to open Command Prompt as admin and copy and paste ipconfig /release and press enter. Then type or copy and paste ipconfig /renew and press enter then type exit. Then reboot.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:26 02 Mar 2018

When this happens to me I have found rebooting the router usually works

Plus a Power - Restart (not shutdown) of the PC concerned.

morddwyd 11:03 02 Mar 2018

Thanks both.

I've tried the restart and reboot (try the easy ones first!) but where the heck do you find a command prompt in Win 10?

A few years ago you needed it several times a month but I cant remember the last time!

rdave13 11:11 02 Mar 2018
Answer

Right click the start button. If not listed there then left click start button and scroll down to Windows system and expand. If you want CMD to be listed when right clicking the start button the go to 'settings' - personalisation - taskbar and turn off ' Replace Command Prompt with PowerShel in the menu when I right click the start button...'

Govan1x 11:12 02 Mar 2018

Right click the menu and click on cmd. it may have changed to Power shell. Click on the admin one.

Govan1x 11:14 02 Mar 2018

Sorry rdave13 I should have refreshed the page before posting.

rdave13 11:21 02 Mar 2018

No worries Govan1x, do it myself :)

morddwyd 11:49 04 Mar 2018

Thanks. Quite like old times, particularly as it didn't work (remember the red-eye blues?)! However, the errot message has changed to "No Interner Secured", another new one on me.

For inf I have change the router and also the frequency.

rdave13 15:59 04 Mar 2018

For inf I have change the router and also the frequency.

Assuming then that all other devices still connect OK with the new wi-fi key?

Next try would be to re-install the drivers 'over the top'. Last resort would be to reset TCP/IP.

To reinstall the drivers open device manager - expand Network adaptors - right click your WiFi adaptor - Update driver - select 'Browse my computer for driver software' - then 'let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer' - if you have more than one listed look closely and the one in use has a blue tinge of colour. Click on it then click the 'next' tab. Once you get the 'Windows has successfully updated your drivers' screen then close all windows and reboot. Now try to connect and hopefully will ask for the security key.

wiganken2 16:48 04 Mar 2018

Sometimes a Windows 10 update causes this problem. Have you recently installed any updates? If so then try restoring to anearlier date/time.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 6 (2018) review

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Comment retrouver son code Wifi ?